Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

will probably start a build on a 2023, prior owners what would you mod first?

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
'23 ExST, '17 Raptor, '16 FoST, FFR Cobra
disclaimer, I live in Northern California - so looking for CARB legal mods

what would be your first mods?

just for reference, I have a 2017 Ford Raptor that is Whipple tuned, with intake and bigger intercooler, which is CARB legal, I have exhaust mods
the GT350 was my son's, he sold it last year... was an amazing car! it was cool that we both had Avalanche colored vehicles :)
IMG_3425.jpg

my wife has a 2016 Focus ST with a Mountune MP275 kit, with tune, intake and bigger intercooler, also CARB legal, it has the FRPP exhaust as well, short shifter, etc.
nothing ricey, just faster and sounds better
2016-09-16 16.41.23.jpg

big fan of Forscan to tweak things, and overall want to make it a super fun drive!

this will be her primary car once she lets go of the Focus ST

maybe a list of "don't wants":
no lowering, while it looks cool in some situations, just not into that
no drone - for the love of God - NO DRONE!

Thanks all!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Well you asked for a list and a list you shall receive:

-Thermal R&D 3" exhaust: Amazing exhaust with one great thing, no drone
-aFe Momentum CAI
-any intercooler
-Ford Performance tune until warranty is up than your choice after that
-All weather floormats

We also have a Raptor and I'll tell you, the ST is a totally different amazing experience.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
If you want more advice than just the current bolt-ons, you need to give us a budget, and performance goals!

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #4
If you want more advice than just the current bolt-ons, you need to give us a budget, and performance goals!
Budget - I don’t mind spending $3-5k as long as it’s flawless improvement and CARB legal

Eg the aFe intake suggested above isn’t 50 state legal

if there are good handling mods that would be good - going from a Focus ST to a much bigger EST is going to affect handling expectations

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
For handling front and rear sway bars are a great start. As for performance there isn't to much carb legal for CA so far. That may get better in time.

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
For handling front and rear sway bars are a great start. As for performance there isn't to much carb legal for CA so far. That may get better in time.
Most likely I’ll do the Whipple Stage 1 kit - it’s been phenomenal on my Raptor and Dustin is a super cool guy

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Budget - I don’t mind spending $3-5k as long as it’s flawless improvement and CARB legal

Eg the aFe intake suggested above isn’t 50 state legal

if there are good handling mods that would be good - going from a Focus ST to a much bigger EST is going to affect handling expectations
Ah yah I forgot about 50 state.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Best thing to do... Move out of that crap state and to a place where you can do what you want to your vehicle... heh heh...

Well not what you want... within emissions stds. I'm in AZ, so we just have to be emissions compliant which is easy... but nothing seems to be CARB compliant since Cali is so strict and unreasonable to what people can do... In Cali, it's damn near illigal to do anything to your vehicle that was not put on by the manufacturer...

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Best thing to do... Move out of that crap state and to a place where you can do what you want to your vehicle... heh heh...

Well not what you want... within emissions stds. I'm in AZ, so we just have to be emissions compliant which is easy... but nothing seems to be CARB compliant since Cali is so strict and unreasonable to what people can do... In Cali, it's damn near illigal to do anything to your vehicle that was not put on by the manufacturer...
LOL we have a 5 year window then yep, we're out ;)

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I am also in nor cal and would like to do some bolt ons. Have you used any shops in Nor Cal that do good work? Did you do the Whipple yourself?

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
I actually went to Whipple in Fresno and they installed my Raptor setup - it’s been great for 50k miles

OP
Toadster

Toadster

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
also, what options could be removed from an order that wouldn't make a difference - e.g. Street Pack, if you upgrade wheels and tires anyways?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I wouldn't get rid of street pack- you also get the "big brakes" with that kit. Additionally, you can sell the stock wheels and tires for the cost of the option.