Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whipple Install

AustinST

Reactions
Just ordered, please provide any insight!
Thanks!

Reactions
Wheels off gets you better access to the 2x 10mm fender bolts on each side. A panel popper tool helps. Torx bit for the air sensor. Watch the Fat Guy Builds video a few times before you do the install, then keep it handy and pause the vid as you do the install.

Its an easy install, just take your time.

OP
AustinST

AustinST

Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Wheels off gets you better access to the 2x 10mm fender bolts on each side. A panel popper tool helps. Torx bit for the air sensor. Watch the Fat Guy Builds video a few times before you do the install, then keep it handy and pause the vid as you do the install.

Its an easy install, just take your time.
Thank you!

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
What he said. Devote an entire day, take your time, make sure you have a helper nearby to help support/hold the front fascia while you line up hardware or remove clips. The intercooler does come with paper instructions too. Read those through in their entirety a couple times before starting. Make sure you can get your bearings on each step. Some of the angles of the pictures are a little weird and its hard to figure out what spot its supposed to be showing. Its ultimately 100% a job that most people can understand/handle and wont require any tools you don't already have in your toolbox.

Reactions
OK Whipple is installed on my 2021! On mine the active shutter assembly was riveted on the bottom 5 areas where there were bolts on the 2020.That was the biggest PITA as I had to drill them out and put in dzus fasteners/ new push fasteners. Mine also did not have a washer house for front camera. Oh well hahaha. Test fit new intercooler before tightening up to make sure the aluminum is not touching the supplied brackets at the bottom. 10.0mm ratcheting wrench works well for the fender to bumper cover bolts and yes they are stubborn! Wheels off would be easier to visualize these bolts but I did not remove them. Not a super difficult task but allow at least 4 hours and use ziploc labeled bags for all parts. As far as performance I will check tomorrow. I needed a couple beers after that. 2 people will also help a lot.

Tommy

Reactions
after all the time to install, is it worth it? daily driving notice any changes, it seems a pretty big project

Reactions
As far as projects go it was not very difficult just time consuming labeling and bagging parts etc. Nothing like changing the clutch and flywheel in my Lotus! If your future plans are just daily driving normally with the occasional sprint it is probably not worth the cost and time. If however you have future plans on a tune I feel this is a necessary add on as continuous boost will raise the charge temp air and timing will adjust whereby loosing power gains that should have been there. I also feel it is a good safety measure to prevent detonation in higher than stock boost levels. I am also in South Florida where it does get super hot for most of the year. IMHO If you mod at all I would do a catchcan first (JLT or UPR) this will prevent build up on intake valves over time due to the direct injection design. Second would be a better drain plug for the oil pan (UPR) It make it sooo much easier to change your oil. If you do your own maintenance of course.

Tommy