Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Whining Noise

Reactions
I've had this Explorer ST for about a week and I never noticed this sound until recently. But now, I've noticed a very loud whining noise that seems to correspond directly with acceleration. I thought it might be tranny whine, but in neutral it is very noticeable when revving, in line with the RPM. It seemed to come out of nowhere and when my girlfriend was pulling away for me all I could hear was the whine sound, which basically reminded me of supercharger whine. So I was curious if anyone knows what this is or has had this issue and if I need to go have it looked at...

Reactions
There is a Tranny cooler problem that some initial builds had and they had to replace the cooler. I am Not sure if your problem is that but worth checking.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
same experience here. I was assuming it was the turbos and since the car is pretty new I have been taking is easy. Now that I am hitting it a bit more I was hoping is was the turbo(s) getting exercise/ 'breaking in'.

Reactions
I’ve been hearing it as well in mine thought it was the downpipes but I guess my next trip to the dealer I’ll address it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
I notice it for the first 30 seconds of driving, or so. Figured it might be simply due to the colder Minnesota weather. Like Yungty, I'll have the dealer look at it.

KamaST

Reactions
I just got my 2021 ST on Monday and have 148 miles and I too hear a whining sound at idle but when I rev it the sound gets softer but it's still there. I don't have any codes and she seems to be running great so I'm a little stumped anyone got this same issues at idle?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

OP
Red2020ST
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I just got my 2021 ST on Monday and have 148 miles and I too hear a whining sound at idle but when I rev it the sound gets softer but it's still there. I don't have any codes and she seems to be running great so I'm a little stumped anyone got this same issues at idle?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
After all the searching I've done, looks like its just a common sound for the ST. I've spoken to people and taken it to the dealership twice. I just decided to accept it... and put an exhaust on loud enough, so I don't hear it. Lol

KamaST

Reactions
After all the searching I've done, looks like its just a common sound for the ST. I've spoken to people and taken it to the dealership twice. I just decided to accept it... and put an exhaust on loud enough, so I don't hear it. Lol
Thanks for the response I'll just put more mileage and let it be oh and but on the DP's and exhaust

BooSTed

Reactions
After all the searching I've done, looks like its just a common sound for the ST. I've spoken to people and taken it to the dealership twice. I just decided to accept it... and put an exhaust on loud enough, so I don't hear it. Lol[/QUOTE
I've had this Explorer ST for about a week and I never noticed this sound until recently. But now, I've noticed a very loud whining noise that seems to correspond directly with acceleration. I thought it might be tranny whine, but in neutral it is very noticeable when revving, in line with the RPM. It seemed to come out of nowhere and when my girlfriend was pulling away for me all I could hear was the whine sound, which basically reminded me of supercharger whine. So I was curious if anyone knows what this is or has had this issue and if I need to go have it looked at...
So I just wanted to say it's a common twin turbo noise, but if you rock it in sport mode the aggressive tone change dampens that out for me.

BlueRidgeSt

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
My dealer said it is the new design on the high pressure fuel pump.

Reactions
I've noticed this on mine too. Mostly when driving slow up hill on a gravel road. Sounds like a whipple supercharger. I believe it to be the turbos.
The turbos on my SHO do the same when running the stage 4 tune.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk