Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Wheel Forging Cores

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
For those out there who might be plugged into the manufacturing portion of this country a bit more than me. Does anyone other than HRE make their wheels out of forgings that were done in the US? I know that HRE gets their raw cores from Aluminum Precision Products but wasn't sure if anyone else did something similar. Most of the "forged" wheel suppliers get their cores from China and just do the CNC themselves (looking at you Miami). I really like BC Forged because their entire process is in Taiwan and if anyone knows aluminum, its Taiwan. This question isn't meant to start a debate of which path is better or not or which product is superior. Just wondering if there is any other manufacturer out there that is 100% american made.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
I'm pretty sure Forgeline are 100% American made.....I do know they use APP blanks. CCW's forged line was 100% American made (may still be after Weld purchased them). I've had several sets of CCW's, HRE and Forgeline wheels. American Racing forged wheels are made in the USA as well and there are other smaller manufacturers that are made in the USA. The Taiwan mills typically use forged blanks that may be about 15% weaker than APP forgings but are still pretty strong. Still a great bang for your buck for a forged wheel (BC Forged, Signature, etc.) that you can have delivered relatively quick.

I love nice wheels :cool:

Forgeline VX1's on my Z06:

cropwheel.jpg

Custom Forgeline centerlock GA3R's on my CTS-V Coupe:

444_19db3d9c2cd47df56c5d42ba0720595f63508cb5.jpg

HRE C22's on my previous Z06:

DSC00582.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm pretty sure Forgeline are 100% American made.....I do know they use APP blanks. CCW's forged line was 100% American made (may still be after Weld purchased them). I've had several sets of CCW's, HRE and Forgeline wheels. American Racing forged wheels are made in the USA as well and there are other smaller manufacturers that are made in the USA. The Taiwan mills typically use forged blanks that may be about 15% weaker than APP forgings but are still pretty strong. Still a great bang for your buck for a forged wheel (BC Forged, Signature, etc.) that you can have delivered relatively quick.

I love nice wheels :cool:

Forgeline VX1's on my Z06:

View attachment 5027

Custom Forgeline centerlock GA3R's on my CTS-V Coupe:

View attachment 5028

HRE C22's on my previous Z06:

View attachment 5029
I won’t pretend to be an expert by any means but this jives with my knowledge too. There are some “loops” that can and have been worked around by some companies for some time and it relates to where a product is actually put together. Some sellers of two-piece wheels will procure their semi-finished product elsewhere and assemble them in the USA which means they can claim made in the USA. I’m being very broad with this claim as I don’t know the specifics.

Either way though, when I did my due diligence for my wheels, my factory schooled me that most of the billets used in the wheel forging process are T6 6061 Aluminum and any reputable factory who takes their work seriously will test for it routinely. In fact, the best factories X-ray every batch and test a sample of every batch to ensure this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
For years Centerline was the go to for blanks for US based companies. They supplied blanks to ADV.1 when they were still based in SoCal when I bought a set from them.

DoingOK

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
For years Centerline was the go to for blanks for US based companies. They supplied blanks to ADV.1 when they were still based in SoCal when I bought a set from them.
ADV.1 had some of the nicest looking wheels out there. Unfortunately, the owner previously screwed over a bunch of vette owners when he was running iForged or 360Forged (I believe that's the previous company's name). The ADV 5.2 is still one of my favorite designs.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
ADV.1 had some of the nicest looking wheels out there. Unfortunately, the owner previously screwed over a bunch of vette owners when he was running iForged or 360Forged (I believe that's the previous company's name). The ADV 5.2 is still one of my favorite designs.
He had a habit of pissing people off. I took the truck with those wheels to Vegas...was supposed to be inside in their booth and the got banned from SEMA that year....2013 IIRC.