Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What do you wish you knew when buying?

Phrede

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Hi from the newbie

I'm strongly considering a new ST. A tune, minor performance and appearance updates and jailbreaked Sync3 are all part of the plans. Of course, I have lot's of questions, I'm kind of a detail freak, some that get the deer in the headlights look from dealers. I just love car shopping ;) So, at the risk of being excessive....

Will the performance brakes fit under 20" wheels? 50 or 55 series tires more fit my needs. I know the trade offs, just asking.
Are the 2nd row seats removable? Big doggos could use more room and never are there any passengers. Can the monitors be bypassed at the connector or are the on a bus?
Are the shocks tunable/magnetic so they change with the driving mode?
Can you adjust the audio settings (bass, treble, balance) while driving or will a safety nanny stop you?
Is there a built in trailer brake control or do I need to install one? Existing wiring?
It appears the 3.0L TT is direct injected only, right? A catch can would be added. Any issues with carbon or catch can install?
Quickest way to disable auto start stop? Trailer connector? This is until I get a tune installed.
Can it be confirmed there is no VCM? I like to keep all pistons doing something all the time.
What option or aftermarket addon would you NOT do again?
What do you wish you knew when purchasing that you know now?

In a perfect world I would find one with multi contour seats and no moon roof nearby. I just think that's likely pie in the sky. Thoughts on current order delivery times?

I appreciate any input. Hopefully this works out and I can hang out more.

OP
Phrede

Phrede

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #2
Never mind. I'm walking away from the ST. I test drove one and the auto parking brake drove me nuts. Every time I came out of park it was like I was stuck. It took WAY too much throttle to release and resulted in a forward lunge when it did.

Why did Ford pick a program patch like this (recall 22S27) when the root problem was using 1 bolt instead of original designed 2?

In any case, it's a deal breaker for me.

C'Ya

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Of course, you could always just press the e-brake button to release. I park on an incline, so I always use the e-brake when I park. As part of my routine when entering the car I put on my seatbelt, put my foot on the brake,start the car, release the e-brake and push the ASS button. It just doesn't seem that difficult to push another "button". It certainly wouldn't scare me away from buying the ST.

But you're right, Ford should not have went to the single bolt diff.