Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

What are your favorite movies?

Blackssr

Reactions
Broadcast television does not do it for the wife and I. Reality shows are a joke. Scripted TV is a bore. I spent quite a bit of money building my home theater. It is complete with an Atmos enabled sound system and Theater seating. It is as close to duplicating the theater experience at home as humanly possible.

These are my some of my favorite movies.

1). The Godfather, The Godfather 2. Francis Ford Coppola's cinematic masterpieces. No further introduction required. These are as perfect as any movie ever created.
2). The Shawshank Redemption. Frank Daraponts vision defined the third person narrative with the voiceover by Morgan Freeman. On its initial release it failed at the box office but gained popularity with DVD release and home viewings.
3). A Few Good men and The people versus Larry flynt. These movies contain the absolute finest in courtroom scenes in the history of Cinema. Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise are legendary for a reason and their courtroom exchange in A Few Good men proves why they are Oscar winning and nominated actors. Edward Nortons portrayal of Alan Isaacman in "The people versus Larry Flint" was penned using the actual transcripts of the landmark first amendment case tried at the Supreme Court. I have several colleagues and Friends that are law Professors and teachers. They often refer to these movies in class to teach law students the ins and outs of trial law and how to act if ever blessed with a case tried in front of the supreme Court.
4). Armageddon and Contact. Armageddon is just a fun popcorn ride and Contact is a thinking man science fiction epic.
5). Night of the living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and Day of the Dead. The original Dead trilogy by legendary director and writer George A Romero require little introduction. They are as relevant today as when first screened nearly five decades ago. The satire is a little heavy-handed but his vision created an entire genre. There would be no Walking Dead without George's original vision. His films are in the Film Archives in the Library of Congress as being culturally, historically or aesthetically significant motion pictures.
6). Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and Schindler's list. Epic war movies. The depiction of the invasion of Normandy in Saving Private Ryanliterally had such an impact when initially released due to the realism. Critics and movie goers talked about it for months after it's released. Steven Spielberg at his best.
7). Pulp Fiction. Quentin Tarantino is one of the most creative directors in Hollywood. Pulp fiction is one of the most quoted movies of all time. There are so many classic scenes in that movie it is extremely difficult to pick a favorite.
8). Saturday Night Fever. Skyrocketed John Travolta into the stratosphere. The incredible pounding soundtrack by the Bee Gees went on to become the greatest selling soundtrack of all time. Only after Whitney Houston died was it surpassed by the soundtrack of The Bodyguard. Saturday Night Fever defined an entire generation. It is also in the film Archives in the Library of Congress as being a culturally, historically or aesthetically significant motion picture. The dance solo by John Travolta maybe a bit dated today but it was the defining scene in that movie.
9). Rocky. Who doesn't love an underdog?
Catapulted Sylvester Stallone into the stratosphere. The lovable South Paw portrayed a down and out boxer who had a chance at the big league. Typical rag to riches story. It's spawned numerous sequels and one of the most lovable characters in movie history. An Oscar winning picture.
10). Terminator and Terminated 2: Judgment Day. Perhaps the greatest two action movies ever created. James Cameron created a pair of masterpieces. T1 was a low-budget dark gritty film. Terminator 2: Judgment Day was a blockbuster high budget action masterpiece that catapulted Linda Hamilton into iconic status. She is the greatest heroine in action movies. Sarah Connor is legend, even more so than sigourney Weaver as Ripley in Alien and Aliens. The special effects in Terminator 2 were outstanding and pushed the envelope beyond what was even thought capable.

11). Avatar. 3D perfection. The script and story was a bit passe and totally predictable. However, there is no denying the beauty and technical prowess of what we witnessed on screen. James Cameron is one of the best directors in Hollywood. He surpassed Steven Spielberg as my all-time favorite.
12). The Abyss. The theatrical release of the Abyss had audiences scratching their head because 20 minutes of the movie was removed due to time and budgetary constraints. On its the initial theatrical release it just did not make sense. With the popularity of home DVD James Cameron went back and finished the 20-minute segment that was removed and completed the special effects required to complete his original vision of the film. The directors cut of the Abyss, released on DVD featured an outstanding and spectacular menu system. It also featured seamless branching of two versions of the film on the same disc. A first at the time. It was a thinking man's science fiction opus with a message that should not be ignored. The special effects were the precursor for Terminator 2.

13). Star Wars and all its sequels. Love them or hate them there's no denying the brilliant mind and storytelling of George Lucas. For nearly 50 years Star Wars has captivated audiences around the globe. His vision and ability to create captivating characters and worlds has no equal in Hollywood. He truly is a master of storytelling. I wish he had never sold to Disney. As a huge Star Wars fan, I often wonder what he would have created for the last three in the series. I believe he's got the scripts written and unfortunately they won't be released until after his death. In my opinion the final trilogy had no cohesion, failed to progress the story and completely missed the mark. They were entertaining but failed to satisfyingly wrap up the brilliant saga that George Lucas created nearly 50 years ago. ☹️

A very long winded post I know. I am a huge movie fan and would love to hear what are some of your favorites and why.

Last edited:
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm more of a "good story" guy. I havent gotten that deep into the cinematic side of movies but am interested. But I do love the Godfather series, Shawshank, A Few Good Men and Saturday Night Fever. Great movies. All on my list of favorites among others.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Outlaw Josie Wales
and
Pale Rider.

Jim

WhtST

Reactions
Count of Monte Cristo
Serenity
Thomas Crown affair

Could watch those over..and over....

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Not necessarily my favs but some good ones:

Matrix
Wedding Singer
Bridesmaids
Inception
Gattaca
Equilibrium

Reactions
Raiders of the Lost Ark. (No it's not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark)
The Empire Strikes Back.
The Sting (Robert Shaw is out bleeping standing as Lonnigan)
Reservoir Dogs
Hoosier
Raising Arizona

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #7
I love the Diary of Anne Frank as well. The young woman is the epitome of bravery. Every young girl should look to her for inspiration and as a role model.

Reactions
Top Gun
Saving private Ryan
Band of brothers ( HBO series)

Reactions
Alien
Aliens
Predator
Terminator 1 & 2
Star Wars 4-5-6
Outlaw Josie Wales
Grand Torino
Bullitt
Dirty Harry
Red Rover
John Adams mini series
Band of Brothers mini series
Days of Wine and Roses
The Blues Brothers
All the NL Vacation movies
The Expanse series
Kingdom series on Netflix
American Graffiti
The Abyss
Jaws
Blazing Saddles, actually everything Mel Brooks
The original Godzilla movies

Last edited:
Reactions
Interstellar a space movie that is science based and Dr. Kip Thorne helped advise plus directed by Christopher Nolan. Also everything he has done is fantastic. Clint Eastwood movies are just fun to watch from his earl days to now. Boondock Saints just entertaining. Definitely Saving Private Ryan my step father survived Normandy and said that he felt he was back there it took him weeks before he would talk about it.. Band of Brothers, The Expanse ,Person of Interest, Firefly TV series and movie follow up Serenity. Godfather 1 and 2, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Clockwork Orange, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur 1959, 10 Commandments, Alien and Aliens, Super 8, The Shawshank Redemption, Tenet, Bullitt, The 7ups, The original Star Wars Trilogy, Terminator 1 and 2, most of Mel Brooks movies, Top Gun, Blues Brothers, Animal House, Porky's, Predator, Hoosier's, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I have seen thousands of movies over the decades and I am tired, come tomorrow I will think of many more.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Bond, James Bond

Reactions
All good ones above- on Netflix we like:
Blacklist (written by a gentlemen from Kearney, Ne and spends his money here to help our community)
Longmire
Peaky Blinders
Wentworth
Blue Bloods
Schitts Creek and the wrong Mary for off the wall mindless stuff.
Currently looking for something new like the first 5 listed above.

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Fractured

Anthony Hopkins

Jim

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
You all have listed some great movies. Would like to mention:
Enemy of the State
Mad Max Fury Road
The Shining

Symetry

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Gladiator

Russell Crowe

Jim

OP
Blackssr

Blackssr

Reactions
Thread Starter #17
What about comedy? I have a long list.
Comedy is tough and very subjective. I don't think a comedy has ever won an Oscar for Best picture. (Edit: Pulp Fiction won an Oscar for best screenplay. I considered it a comedy. It had quite a few funny scenes.) I'm a huge fan of Ted and Ted 2.. some of the scenes were hysterical.

There are so many things politically incorrect with this scene but I guess I must stoop lower than most. I find it hysterical.The reference to the Kardashian trash was epic.

Seth MacFarlane is a comic genius.

Last edited: