Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Weird sound more audible on engine cold start

paralemo

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello all,

I just bought a 2020 Ford Explorer ST (street pack) last week and I'm loving it. It was certified with 35k miles.

However, I noticed that when I start it up, there is a "clicking noise" coming from the front of the car/engine.

I was able to record the sound that I'm talking about in 2 recordings which you can hear at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pFdFwKqFQ1SjW62QUt40fp2EblBkiqgF?usp=sharing

The first recording is when right when I started up the car first thing in the morning, and we can hear the sound very loud, up until about 8 seconds when it stops completely and we just hear the engine. Then the second recording is just a few seconds after the first recording, when I started hearing a low intensity clicking again and that's why I started recording. It almost came and went...

I drove the car to a Ford dealership so that I can have a tech hear it and tell me what they think, but they were too busy due to the holidays AND I was not able to replicate it (since I had driven the car there, so it was not a cold start). As far as I have noticed, this seems to happen after the car has been sitting for a little while.

I played the recording for a service person there, and he said that maybe it's the phasers (which I also read about in this forum) but that he's not a tech... also, while the sound is similar, it seems like the cam phasers sound stops completely after a few seconds, while in my case it goes on for a longer time, and then sometimes stops and then sort of comes back as you can hear in the recording.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance!