Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Weird rear power window problem

Reactions
Curious if anybody else has had this issue. I’ve done a little searching on here but not seeing anything obvious.

About five weeks ago, I used the master button to open my right rear power window about halfway…suddenly it went all the way down on its own even after I let off the button, and then it would not go back up. No matter what I tried the window would not respond - all I could get from either the master switch or the switch on the door itself was a relay clicking. Tried the “hold it for a while” trick to reset, no dice. Great, so I throw a trash bag over the window and park the car for a couple days til I can get to the dealer.

Ford dealership diagnoses a faulty master switchpod and replaced it under extended warranty.

Fast forward to 5 weeks later, aka two days ago, and the exact same problem happens again. Of course it’s on Saturday night, so another bag goes over the door and it gets parked until this morning when I drop it off first thing. Couple hours later, Ford shop this morning says same problem - bad switchpod - and they replace it - problem temporarily solved.

Anybody else experienced this? The most annoying thing is there is NO WAY to get the window back up when this happens - I tried unplugging the master switchpod and using the door switch, but it turns out unplugging the master switch renders all other switches useless. I tried swapping the left and right rear door switches side to side since they appear to be identical, did not solve anything thereby ruling out any fault with the door switches in my opinion. Can’t find a wiring diagram online for where I could apply 12 volts to the right pins on the window cable just to get it to roll up. My last recourse has been to order the part online (fairly cheap actually) so that if this happens again, I can plug in the new one, roll up the window, then take the car to the dealer with the old switch plugged in and have it replaced under warranty while hanging onto the new one as my emergency “window closer”.

But yeah. Anyone else or am I special?

BeefStew

Reactions
i had the same issue this morning, lowered my rear power window fully, it wouldn't go back up at all, currently sitting in my driveway (took my wife's car to work) while I'm waiting to take it into the dealer to be repaired

while its nice driving my wife's Audi Q5 - i want my ST back......

Anthony.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I have a MY2020. It has been fairly reliable but still remains as the most problematic car I've ever owned with it's minor annoyances that keep cropping up. I haven't had problems with the rear windows, but have had the front and side mirrors be unresponsive. I highly recommend having an OBDLINK MX+ bluetooth adapter in your car and get Forscan Lite. Sometimes it will spit out a code. Other times you just reset the module in question and you will be good to go. I've done this with the Drivers door module and also the tail gate when they were acting up. It has restored functionality. Trust me, it's worth having at all times for diagnosis and module resets.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions