Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Vinyl Wrap Care

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
What’s the best product to use on vinyl wrap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Why don’t you ask the people you paid to install the vinyl? Don’t you think they’d have a better idea of what protects the product they use than random people on the internet?

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
As a matter of fact I do think that and that’s why I asked him! He told me there are several good products and everyone has their favorite! He did give me a name but I forgot what he said so I figured I ask here. If you don’t have an answer please don’t bother posting!

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I gave you an answer…but you can bet I’m done wasting my time with your ridiculous questions.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Thank you

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
From every other post you’ve made…all that will happen is you’ll get a recommendation then change your mind 20 times and still be fumbling your way through it asking for help weeks later.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
From every other post you’ve made…all that will happen is you’ll get a recommendation then change your mind 20 times and still be fumbling your way through it asking for help weeks later.
Look, I understand you have contributed tons of knowledge to this forum and are levels above me but I’m just trying to learn here. I’m sorry if my questions seem ridiculous to you. In my post about wider tires I received conflicting answers. Some said they would be fine while others said they wouldn’t. I went to Tire Rack.com, as someone suggested, and according to that info the tire size would be ok. But, I choose to take the advice I was given and just went with the stock size. Done! As for my post about the sound system, you’re right, I kept changing my mind. But, that was because of all the conflicting information I was getting! One diagram showed one thing while another showed something different. Some said it was a 10 channel amp while another said it was 8! Sometimes I am my own worst enemy when it comes to stuff I don’t understand because I keep researching and digging into it! No one explained to me that the front door tweeters and D-Pillar speakers get the signal from the ACM instead of the amp. I just learned that from the mObridge rep. He also said I would need a separate interface for that. No one else told me that. So I am confused. That and the fact I couldn’t find any shop in my area that has worked on one of these systems made me leery of messing with it. But, believe it or not, I decided to take your advice and just let my installer put in the ZEN, the DSP amp and go with it. He’s been doing this for over forty years so I have to trust he can figure it out. I’m sorry if I come across the wrong way, I don’t mean any disrespect! I’m just trying to learn and figure out the right way to do something.

Last edited:

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I've used quite a few different DIY coatings and in my opinion they all last pretty much the same amount of time. Perhaps a year, they don't seem to protect (sheet or bead) as well as when initially applied. Prices are all over the map and some are easier to work with than others. I can't really tell you a favorite. If I had to throw one out that I felt was good value, I might suggest Poorboys.

Professionally applied coatings have warranties of up to 5 years and beyond. Some of these, however, take some type of specified cleaning (they get for lack of a better term plugged up) and booster products applied and they are usually expensive. So check the fine print, if you have to use their product to clean or it requires a booster, it may not be the best value equation.

I'm the kind of guy that simply can't leave well enough alone. I always feel like I want to do something to freshin' up the finish after a full wash. I, personally have switched back to Si02 Sealants and even these are sometimes called coatings, even spray coatings. The definition and lines have blurred between sealants and coatings but I still see the products I use as sealants and I have a cabinet full of them. I can get months of protection out of them and it lets me feel like I've done something regularly.

Having said all that, I've never coated vinyl and my experience with vinyl on flat surfaces isn't good. Horizontal surfaces with vinyl on them take a pounding in the sun, a much better existence if they are stored in a garage. I'm the last guy to talk to about modern vinyl products. No doubt they are light years ahead of where they were since the time I've had them.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Thank you! I've never had vinyl before either but I know it's become popular. The only thing he was specific about was to make sure it was for a matte finish and that it hydrates. I sent him an email asking what the product was that he recommended. Like anything else I'm sure there are good products and poor products, that's why I ask first. I did an online search and came up with these: Rev Auto, Jet Seal and MeticulousMatte. I use the Chemical Guys VRP on the plastic matte trim and tires and it works great so I may go with their product.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
I have used Jet Seal before and it is more of a sealant than a coating or at least by old-school definitions. As I said earlier, the lines have gotten kind of blurry between sealants and coatings. If there are 10 oz. or more in a bottle it's designed to be used more often than the old 1 oz. bottles coatings came in. These little bottles usually came at a high price, often hundreds of dollars, with a sponge or dense micro-fiber cloth. They were applied a few drops at a time. They can be quite finicky and if you aren't paying attention you can end up with high spots. Temperature and humidity can come into play at the time of application.

I have moderated a Detailing Forum for over 20 years. You can imagine quite a few products have come my way to try. At the end of the day, things have changed a great deal from when coatings first hit the scene.

If you go with a true coating, proper surface prep (claying, clay cloths or mitts, decontamination, polishing, etc.) is key to getting the most out of the coating. Remember once the coatings go on, anything that was showing before they went down (spider webbing, micro-marring, embedded contaminants, buffable scuffs) is going to be there for a long time. Coatings do virtually nothing to hide blemishes, they do not fill like waxes and sealants. So make sure that you or whoever is preparing the surface knows what they are doing and has the equipment to do it right.

Ease of use, just makes sealants a no-brainer for me. Others want to be able to put a coating on their vehicle and not look at it again for years. Decide which type of user you are and go from there.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the great info. I talked to the guy who did the vinyl and he said to ask the shop doing the ceramic coat before I use anything. He never did recommend a product though.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
The guy who did the vinyl stripes sent me another email and recommended either Adams Matte Detailer or the MeticulousMatte I posted above. I did check with a different shop before receiving the email and they recommended McKee's 37. They said to just make sure there are no waxes or polishes in the products you use (car wash, detail spray, etc.) and to be sure it's specifically for a matte finish. They also said a mixture of 50/50 Isopropyl Alcohol and warm water would help remove stubborn stains. Just not to rub too hard or you'll end up with a shiny spot.

Reactions
We've recently started using wrap-fresh brand and I have to say so far I'm pretty happy with it. We include a bottle with full wrap jobs for our clients. Used their ceramic too, It works well though I don't like it as much as GTechniq Halo. The detail spray is pretty good though. Chemical guys also has a wrap specific detail spray now. Any detailer is fine though as long as its PH neutral. Thats the key

Ultimate Decal & Wrap Cleaners and Protectors | Wrap Fresh

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Awesome! Thanks for the input!