Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Vinly wrap paint matching

Reactions
Vehicle
I see some folks on here who have wrapped their entire car. Has anyone every done the black plastic fender trimmings above the wheels in a paint matching vinyl? There is a company out there, www.colorxlabs.com that states they can color match the wrap to the factory paint? Granted any aging will not be accounted for but thinking of this for my black ST. Black should be an easier color to match and complete IMO but curious if anyone with knowledge of the subject had any thoughts.

Reactions
So as someone who wraps cars in my free time, I can't say ive ever heard of this... I also find it kinda concerning the only colors they show are silver variants, kinda makes me wonder. If your just trying to match black I'd go to metro restyling and order a few different samples across the different brands.

OP
B
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Appreciate that. I read a bit more about the adhesion being an issue from a longevity standpoint if the pieces are not prepped right to begin with. I am going to check out a few body shops to see what paint cost actually looks like.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Appreciate that. I read a bit more about the adhesion being an issue from a longevity standpoint if the pieces are not prepped right to begin with. I am going to check out a few body shops to see what paint cost actually looks like.
Make sure you go to a good paint shop. There is a member here who is going thru it right now due to bad prep from shop. I tend to waste money on car and house projects. So I am not really a good person to give this advise but this is just my opinion "you really do get what you pay for with auto paint" Ive actually found that true with house paint also. Goto a good shop and expect it to be in the thousands for paint. I paid $1200 per gallon for clear and cost not even retail. it wont be cheap.

Reactions
I also just read what your trying to wrap, didnt see that the first time. Wrap will never stick to the textured plastic unfortunately so your better off to paint them if you want them to last.