Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Vibration at 1k RPMs & Briefly at Idle

soloji87

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
2022 ST w/ 14k miles. Noticeable vibration at acceleration / deacceleration only when hitting the 1200ish RPM range. If you feather on the gas and hold at 1200rpms, vibration stays. Gone when you get to 2k rpms and above. If you rev and let the RPMs drop, vibration hits when RPMs drop to 1200 range again. Occasionally, vibration will also occur when starting engine a couple of seconds later while at idle then goes away and doesn't vibrate at idle again. Doesn't do it while at red lights or stop signs.

Thoughts?

20 Red ST

Reactions
2022 ST w/ 14k miles. Noticeable vibration at acceleration / deacceleration only when hitting the 1200ish RPM range. If you feather on the gas and hold at 1200rpms, vibration stays. Gone when you get to 2k rpms and above. If you rev and let the RPMs drop, vibration hits when RPMs drop to 1200 range again. Occasionally, vibration will also occur when starting engine a couple of seconds later while at idle then goes away and doesn't vibrate at idle again. Doesn't do it while at red lights or stop signs.

Thoughts?
My 20 is doing the same thing. I think it’s the motor mounts. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it.

OP
soloji87

soloji87

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
So i did get an answer from Ford. There's a TSB for it. They tried telling me it was the motor mounts at first as well so they put the car up and neutralized the engine and tightened them and it was still happening. Come to find out it's coming from the VCTs and there is a TSB is for a top end engine rattle / vibration so the fix is the pull the engine apart and basically replace all 4 VCT units. It's about 4 pages worth of parts and over 24 hours of labor to do it (under warranty obviously). I'm currently waiting on all the parts to come in, only about half have shown up so far.

DougD

Reactions
So i did get an answer from Ford. There's a TSB for it. They tried telling me it was the motor mounts at first as well so they put the car up and neutralized the engine and tightened them and it was still happening. Come to find out it's coming from the VCTs and there is a TSB is for a top end engine rattle / vibration so the fix is the pull the engine apart and basically replace all 4 VCT units. It's about 4 pages worth of parts and over 24 hours of labor to do it (under warranty obviously). I'm currently waiting on all the parts to come in, only about half have shown up so far.
Please report back with results after the VCT work. I'm still chasing this vibration and dealer has now replaced transmission mounts but still the same as before. Thanks

Swamper

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
Hello, I recently experienced similar issues. Most noticeable vibration was at low RPM At lower speeds. Say plus or minus 10 at 30 mph, it would also have the same vibration on cold starts with the noise resonating in the cabin. The dealership chased the issue around on and off for a few weeks. I was still driving it, before my next scheduled appointment to investigate more the situation got worse. ( louder/ more vibrations and engine light came on) and I dropped it back off at the dealership. They found the drivers side cat was cracked and replaced it. So far, so good the problem is gone for now. My fuel economy is back to normal as well and it seems more responsive, I think the cat was partly blocked before it finally split.

Skeek

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
I'm encountering the exact same issue as described, accompanied by a rattling noise. I looked underneath the car while it happened and it appears to be coming from the flex piping of the exhaust system. After some research I've found that this isn't uncommon and will be taking mine in to be serviced in the coming weeks.

Might be a different issue from yours through if they traced it to your engine bay.

Swamper

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 explorer st
I‘ve had a few issues now, I think it’s time for me to tap out of the ST game. I was planning to do a tune, cooler and exhaust but if the Rig can’t run reliably stock I thing I’m out soon.

ST Fed UP

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST

Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I have the identical problem with my 2020, dealer cannot find the problem and now it's just out warranty, has anyone found the solution?

Reactions
Has anybody in this thread found a resolution? I can feel vibration/roughness through the pedals at low speeds/low RPMs, almost like the trans has it in too high of a gear. It's smooth over ~2000 rpms and at idle.

Curious if there has been an resolution or TSB for this specifically.

Reactions
Apologies for bumping an old thread (again). @soloji87, did you have this done?