Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Very harsh ride

Reactions
Anyone experience very harsh ride and every bump is like a thud in your brain? Would changing the rims to 18” help?

Reactions
I definitely wouldn't call it harsh. It is sporty and firm for sure, doesn't ride like an Escalade or Tahoe, but it isn't supposed to.

Reactions
Going to a larger tire might help a bit. Overall I don't think the ride stiffness is that bad.

Reactions
A larger sidewall will definitely soften the ride, but will make it more prone to sidewall flex through corners, making the handling worse. Not sure if dropping to an 18" rim will be an issue with brake rotor clearance or not, so you will have to check that out.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Have you checked the tire pressure? They ship with 45+ psi and a lot of dealers don’t lower it to the 33 it should be.

Reactions
if you have the ST you cant go to an 18" rim i believe, the rotors are too large.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Maybe something's wrong. I would hardly call the ride harsh. 18" rims are definitely more comfy...have them for my winter rims, but not a night and day difference.

Reactions
Have you checked the tire pressure? They ship with 45+ psi and a lot of dealers don’t lower it to the 33 it should be.
Thanks! Going through the threads I found this one wondering why the ride was so harsh. I figured it was the suspension. The tire pressures were set at 47lbs and one was nearly 50. I've never seen this before but it defiantly improved my situation.

OP
K
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Thanks! Going through the threads I found this one wondering why the ride was so harsh. I figured it was the suspension. The tire pressures were set at 47lbs and one was nearly 50. I've never seen this before but it defiantly improved my situation.
my tires says 40 PSI is the correct PSI

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Maybe something's wrong. I would hardly call the ride harsh. 18" rims are definitely more comfy...have them for my winter rims, but not a night and day difference.
Hi do you mind sharing a link to compatible 18" wheels? I'd like a winter set.

When I bought mine, the tire pressure was ~45 psi per tire. I had the dealer set them correctly and it made a big difference (from the test drive at 45 psi). Also it seems to me to soften up a bit after some miles breaks it in.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hi do you mind sharing a link to compatible 18" wheels? I'd like a winter set.
I bought my wheels and tires from Tirerack. They do the research on fitment. I like that all I have to do is slap them on--they take care of hubcentric rings, TPMS install, appropriate lugnuts and roadforce balancing. I bought a TPMS clicker on Amazon to sync them to the car.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
my tires says 40 PSI is the correct PSI
Max and correct are 2 different things. If you have oem wheels go by the sticker in the door jamb which is 33psi.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I bought my wheels and tires from Tirerack. They do the research on fitment. I like that all I have to do is slap them on--they take care of hubcentric rings, TPMS install, appropriate lugnuts and roadforce balancing. I bought a TPMS clicker on Amazon to sync them to the car.
Return the TPMS tool...they self learn after a few miles of driving. You don’t need a tool.