Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Very disappointed in my ST and the oil smell???

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST silver
Hello everyone

We bought our ST in July of this year. I must admit I was smitten with it the the first few days, but then I started to notice some very disappointing fit and finish details. The more I looked at the small trim items inside I notice how cheap Ford really made this 70K CAD vehicle. It’s been downhill since then really.

The most frustrating thing so far has been this continuous burning oil/plastic smell. It first started with maybe 1500km’s or 2800 miles. On my 25 minute highway drive to work, my carpool partner and myself started to notice a burning oil smell. As a Diesel mechanic, I know that smell very well. It has become worse and worse. I mentioned this to my local dealer right away. They dyed the oil and I took it back after 200km’s. Big surprise they found nothing, but said to keep looking for the leak. It’s been in three times and they still haven’t found anything.

The latest issue, with it being winter we are starting it to warm up prior to driving. The burning plastic smell once it’s run warming up for ten minutes. Man, it would gag a maggot. I have talked to the dealership service manager and he seems less then interested in investigating, so I plan on calling Ford directly to open a case number on the issue. I have noticed multiple threads with people having similar issues to mine, so I was wondering if anyone would have any other helpful info, when I call Ford to open further investigation.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
First place I would check is the transmission area. One member recently had a small crack in the tranny pan. Others myself included the tranny cooler cracked and was leaking.

Reactions
Check the transfer case for wetness

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
Bummed to hear this on a new one. Pulling for your dealer to get it addressed.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
They replaced our oil pan for the oil smell on our 2020. It still has a slight smell, they also dyed the oil, so we'll see how that goes. Will have them check it when the new backup cam comes in.

bosephbarking

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
First off, hit the recirculation button on your AC. Auto turns it off and you are always sucking outside air, it pisses me off. Second, I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say you don't beat on this thing often do you? How long are your trips that you take on average?