Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Turbo size

Reactions
Does anyone know what size turbos are in the ST?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Small ones! Seriously, size matters in a turbo, but just asking for size doesn't mean anything. There are several different measurements. You have inducer and exducer diameter for both the turbine and the compressor wheel; the relationship is termed "trim". You also have the Area / Radius (A/R) which measures the inlet on the compressor and the outlet of the turbine. This is the cross sectional area of the inlet/outlet to the radius from the wheel centerline.

Putting that aside, deciding "big" vs "small" for any particular engine can be summed up by the RPM at which a turbo makes makes peak boost. Since the turbo to compressor feedback is exponential not linear, you'll normally go to peak boost with a 500-1000 of onset. On the ST, the dyno charts I have seen from both stock and different tuners show peak boost from 2500 to about 2800. That makes them "small" in my humble opinion.

OP
F
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Well thank you sir. I'll go with them being on the small size hehe.