Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tune Question from a novice

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sorry if this is a repeated question but how does a Californian get a ZFG (or similar) tune for their ST?

I didn't plan on doing any engine mods to my ST, only suspension. However, on the advice of many members here, I ordered the Whipple IC this weekend to keep the temps down on the turbos. In my process of ordering I saw that Whipple offers a 50 state tune that improves shift points, etc. and that sounds like something I would be interested in. That is what got me looking at ZFG.

Again, apologize for the rookie questions but all of this is new to me. I am sure I can drill down into this forum and find my answers but thought it might be easier to ask.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
You have family out of state, right?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
UNBROKEN is right, you either have a PO Box in AZ or some friends in a different state.

If you're concerned about CARB legality, the only options are Ford Performance, Whipple, or COBB OTS. If you're going with those, the Cobb would be the best. As an Off The Shelf tune, it is no where near what ZFG (using HP Tuners) or Goosetuned or Tune Plus (both using Cobb Accessport) will get you.

If you just want an extra 40hp, CARB legality, and MUCH improved transmission performance the Cobb OTS tune is a good choice. If you want to get the most out of the motor, find a way to go with ZFG, Goosetuned, or Tune Plus.

OP
flhx06
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for the info. I figured the out of state relative was the move but wasn't sure.

I'm not looking for maximum performance but am interested in the enhanced shift patterns so am going to check out the Cobb option.

Explorer ST Posts