Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tune and Borla Stype exhaust

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Hey guys, hope this post is in the correct sub. I have a tune from 5star and a Borla cat back Stype …. Yeah yeah, don’t laugh too much bout 5star. I have kept the Explorer on the stock tune all year so far and have not had any of the fiberglass fibers blow out of the pipes. Now, my brother has a 2020 st with the same setup, Stype exhaust and runs the 93 octane performance tune and his exhaust has consistently blown the fibers out, has not blown out the resonator totally though. Last month he put it back to stock and after 2 weeks the fibers stopped blowing out. So, would the increase in power, heat and flow with the tune cause the fiberglass issue? I noticed the same thing with mine and no matter how hard I drive in stock I have not had any fiber accumulation on the rear. Any ideas? Borla says a tune shouldn’t cause any issues unless exhaust temperature is getting very hot and that you would know what Very Hot is as the cats would probably be suffering and throwing a DTC?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Any exhaust blowing fibers is a defect in that particular muffler or resonator. Has nothing to due with the tune.

OP
Big Dummy
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
Well that sucks, I am on my third resonator from them. This one I could tell it was solid… my bro is on his second. Oh well, still sounds good and I can deal with the fibers when I decide to put the tune back on. Thanks for the response MikeyP.