Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Traxda Lift

emco

Reactions

LokiWolf

Reactions

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I like the lowering option while here in Europe and access to the autobahn. When I come back home, back to normal speeds. The lift may be a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
emco

emco

Reactions
Thread Starter #6
No 4x4 tested yet? Huh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Someone near Tucson please call 888-660-5892 for a free lift that may or may not work but will benefit me personally regardless.

lmturne1

Reactions
I have spoken with Greg, the owner of Traxda, and he stated they "do" have kits available for the ST. They are custom orders as of now as they have not finalized testing. The kit specifications are as follows, 2" spacers in the rear and 1.5" spacers in the front. The kit comes with additional "lift plates" which are 1/4" that can be added to the front spacer. Two lift plates can be added to each of the front spacers for a total lift height of 2". The issues here are: 1) Through testing on the AWD models, lifting the front of the vehicle (2") significantly changes the cv axle pitch and the test vehicle exhibited significant steering vibration during heavy acceleration. The vibrations were reduced to a tolerable level when the lift was set at 1.5" in the front. 2) The factory rake situates the front of the vehicle approximately .5" lower in the front than the rear, so a 2" kit all around keeps the same rake, negating any attempts to level the vehicle.

What I have decided to do is order a kit from Greg and only install the 1.5" spacer in the front, effectively giving the vehicle a 1" positive height difference over the factory rear configuration. This is advantageous in two ways: 1) the factory rake is eliminated and provides an aggressive stance and 2) Clearance for larger tires is provided when turning the vehicle left or right.

I have found the maximum tire size (both height and width) for the 2020 Explorer to be a 285/55/R20, however offset is crucial. If the offset is too positive, the tire will rub the MacPherson strut. The optimal offset is +25mm. I have wheels with a +30mm offset, but needed to use 5mm hubcentric spacers in order to clear the strut. Any more more negative offset and you lose the ability to have adequate articulation while turning as the tire will rub the front or rear of the fender liner in either direction.

I should have the kit in a day or so, and will upload pictures of the installation as well as the results when finished.

Hope this helps.

*UPDATE*- I was provided tracking information an hour ago and it looks to be delivered sometime Monday (10/05). I will install Monday and realign the front Tuesday morning. Pictures and more information to follow.

Last edited:

lmturne1

Reactions
Early this morning I checked the tracking number provided for the parts. They were listed on the truck for early delivery. About two hours later they were delivered.

I began disassembling the front of the vehicle. Once I removed the struts and attempted to place the front spacer on the front strut I recognized a problem. The problem was there was not sufficient clearance for the factory strut bolt to be placed inside the spacer (even if I cut the bolt) so the spacer could be mounted to the strut.

After a quick call to Traxda and speaking with Justin, he informed me the wrong strut spacers were shipped and the proper ones were still on the shelf. He said there was a lapse in communication with their manufacturer and they were configured the same way the 4x2 strut spacers (2.5") were. The 2.5" spacers did not have the problem because of the obvious size difference. Justin said he would be overnighting the proper spacers to me today. So all things held constant, I should see them sometime tomorrow.

More information to follow.

Odin

Reactions
Got my Traxda lift kit delivered a couple days ago, and will be installing Saturday or Sunday at the latest.
@emco I will keep your 888 number on speed dial if I run into any issues with installation on the Platinum.

Edit: as an aside, what is the possible impact of adding the Steeda sway bar to this kit? Firming up the rear, might add to rollover risk? I'm not 100% on the impacts, figured I'd ask here instead of finding out on my own...

Thx,
-Odin

Last edited:

Odin

Reactions
Short version : Traxda lift is installed, had to call up tech support and have the shorter front spacers sent along.

I ordered the kit, installed, and immediately noticed hard shake /vibration in the front on anything but the lightest acceleration. Called up tech support and discussed options. First thought was to go an inch lower all around, which would be less desirable since I LOVE the raked look, and the kit made it closer to flat. Since I'm a test case, we settled on going an inch lower in the front compared to the original lift, for a total of 2" higher in the rear, 1.5" higher in the front.

Removed the front spacers, reinstalled the shorter spacers, buttoned up, and went for some spirited driving. Shake all fixed, and the ride is smoother than stock. I am very pleased with the outcome and looking forward to putting some taller shoes on when the factory tires wear down.

I coupled the lift with Black Horse Exceed side steps and think it looks pretty damn good. The wife agrees, and since it's really her vehicle, I'm looking forward to her review when she takes it for a spin.

Pros: better ride, raked stance, better ground clearance, and better view out the windshield
Cons: higher CoG means higher rollover risk. Gotta take it easy in high speed maneuvers.
Neutrals: rear spacer install is a pain in the ass.

Pictures and wife's review pending.

Best,
- Odin

LokiWolf

Reactions
Pics?

Odin

Reactions
Pics?

Just waiting for the wife to take the Explorer for a spin. Being stuck at home for weeks on end here in northern VA is less fun than it sounds. Pretty sure we're going to take a quick trip this weekend, will see if I can't get her in the drivers seat for a bit of that.

-Odin

LokiWolf

Reactions
Just waiting for the wife to take the Explorer for a spin. Being stuck at home for weeks on end here in northern VA is less fun than it sounds. Pretty sure we're going to take a quick trip this weekend, will see if I can't get her in the drivers seat for a bit of that.

-Odin
Just want to see how an Explorer ST that went up looks. Hope you get out this weekend!

LokiWolf

Reactions
I’d be more interested if it was at least 3” or 3.5” of lift.
Not going to be possible without some SERIOUS modifications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Reactions

-Odin
Any luck...just need a few pics...

LokiWolf

Reactions
This is what the before and after would look like on 18” wheels. View attachment 2696
Your Pic?

2 inches on the AWD model cause vibration on accel. That tells you that serious mods would be needed for anymore. I am interested in 1.5/1.0 possibly. Haven’t decided.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I don’t have AWD model. This is 2WD model and was lifted by jack to advertised height to show what it would look like. Lift is not actually installed.
This is an ST forum...and ST’s have AWD, so the assumption would be AWD here.

Reactions
Bump! Lets see some pics! Also, ive been emailing Traxda as well and they have been mostly unresponsive. The only info they gave me was that the 4WD lift is 1.5” front & rear, and their site keeps crashing so they cant upload the 4WD kit. I inquired as to the type of lift, pricing, etc and am still awaiting a response. Based on the above experience with their lift, and their lack of communication BEFORE the sale, I’m probably gunna steer clear of them!

BlancoST

Reactions
Your Pic?

2 inches on the AWD model cause vibration on accel. That tells you that serious mods would be needed for anymore. I am interested in 1.5/1.0 possibly. Haven’t decided.

I am also interested in the 1.5/1.0. Have you had any luck yet?

Reactions
They stopped responding to me (after a mere 2 emails) and never even sent me pricing. Doesnt seem like they want to sell them