Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission slip

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Anyone have the issue when you first start and shift into drive the transmission is sluggish to respond? I back mine in the garage and most mornings when I start the ST and put it into drive, it feels like the transmission is slipping and slowly engages with a quick jump. I have to give it about 2500 RPM's to get the truck to move. It doesn't do it all the time but I'd say 4 out of 6 times it does it.

BillBeau

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
21 ST
This may be your traction control. Turn it off and see if there is a difference. I don't use it unless its raining.

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #3
Tried that and no difference. I hate the thought of taking into the dealer to get lip service about this. It acts almost like a high stall torque converter, revs and then dumps with the sudden surge forward. Not a good thing when pulling out of the garage.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I have experienced this a couple of times. Both were when I forgot the e-brake was on. Have you checked that possibility?

OP

2manycars4me

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Durango SRT Hellcat
Thread Starter #5
Don't use the e-brake and also don't use the auto hold function either.

Stinger

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
Anyone have the issue when you first start and shift into drive the transmission is sluggish to respond? I back mine in the garage and most mornings when I start the ST and put it into drive, it feels like the transmission is slipping and slowly engages with a quick jump. I have to give it about 2500 RPM's to get the truck to move. It doesn't do it all the time but I'd say 4 out of 6 times it does it.
It happens to me when it’s cold and I pull away from the garage or parking space as you described. It doesn’t do it after that. Maybe fluid level is low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
This has happened to me a few times and the issue was starting the vehicle and a second later putting it into gear, apparently the transmission fluid pump did not have enough pressure built up and that’s why it would limp out of my garage and then lightly bump and go. Now I start it and give it 2-3 seconds before putting it into gear or put it into gear like I used to and hold the brake pedal for a second or two before moving and the sluggish response has not happened again. Hope this help’s

Blaster7Romeo

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
There are transmission issues. make sure to get to the dealer before the warranty is out.

Xieao

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
My Explorer ST shifts into Neutral between 1st and 2nd gear. It is extremely dangerous, as it immobilizes the car for a second or so, and then if you have your foot on the throttle the RPMs rise, then suddenly it will reengage in gear. This is extremely jarring when it happens. The easiest way to get the car to do it, is to put the car in manual mode and shift with the paddles. When you start from a stop, try to shift into second as fast as you can. About 5% of the time it will instead act like it is in neutral.

There is 2 major issues with this problem. One is if you aren't paying attention and keep your foot on the throttle it jams into gear and I am sure this is damaging the transmission and shortening its life. The second issue is that if you are turning across traffic and it happens, you are a sitting duck. Therefore you have to be patient when turning left in front of traffic.

Ford just released a recall for the F150 for this. However, I just talked with them and they indicated that there is no recall for the Explorer at this time.