Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transmission issue

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 st
I see this is dead but this and the tsb sounds exactly what I started getting. i have had it 3 years and 26k miles. it presented with the 7-6 slamming down shift and it heppened several times but not super often and was initially a bit hard to recreate and still seems intermittent. since it also started hanging in gear and today it was blasting and slamming through 1-4 rapidly and was very weird, so its doing more and more intermittent weird things and 100% has a problem. I do have a very early model that was built in 2019 but it has had no issues before.

I am super unmotivated to deal with it, avoiding this type of headache is why I am spending so much to drive a new car. but I did get an extended warranty for this reason. when I went to make an appointment there was nothing available if you want more than an oil change...the service has been poor I think due to short staffing. Im really torn between just trading it in before it goes, or just giving it to them indefinitely until they can work on it because I am supposed to have coverage for a rental on the warranty work. supposed to. I was very close to trading it in a couple months ago but I cant even make a decision on what I want so I held off. I also tried to order a raptor during that time but you know how that goes.

Reactions
I apologize for never posting a follow up, my transmission would clunk into reverse, and also it would clunk into gear between 2 and 3, it would rev rev then shift very abruptly. They ended up replacing the transmission under warranty in my ‘20 ST

hbalek

Reactions
I see this is dead but this and the tsb sounds exactly what I started getting. i have had it 3 years and 26k miles. it presented with the 7-6 slamming down shift and it heppened several times but not super often and was initially a bit hard to recreate and still seems intermittent. since it also started hanging in gear and today it was blasting and slamming through 1-4 rapidly and was very weird, so its doing more and more intermittent weird things and 100% has a problem. I do have a very early model that was built in 2019 but it has had no issues before.

I am super unmotivated to deal with it, avoiding this type of headache is why I am spending so much to drive a new car. but I did get an extended warranty for this reason. when I went to make an appointment there was nothing available if you want more than an oil change...the service has been poor I think due to short staffing. Im really torn between just trading it in before it goes, or just giving it to them indefinitely until they can work on it because I am supposed to have coverage for a rental on the warranty work. supposed to. I was very close to trading it in a couple months ago but I cant even make a decision on what I want so I held off. I also tried to order a raptor during that time but you know how that goes.
Mine was rebuilt at 25K miles and so far over a year later and 13K miles driven it hasn't recurred. Crossing my fingers!

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
We took ours in for service last week because of a transmission issue. While driving down the road on the highway, I gave it gas to move around someone and instead of downshifting, the trans sounded like a it had 100 nuts and bolts rattling around the bell housing and flashed a big error on the IP that read "SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT" and I coasted to the side of the highway. I put it in park, shifted into drive and it was fine. Two days later we were doing the same thing going up an entrance ramp and the same thing happened again, but with no warning message, just a lot of grinding and no downshifting. First time it did it was in Sport Mode and the second time it was in Eco Mode.
Dropped it off and received word they were ordering a new valve body separator plate. 2020 w~55k miles not tuned.

The service department at Marshal Mize Ford in Chattanooga is a good bunch of folks, if you're in the area. It's also having the oil pan replaced again, the replacement is leaking and the BSOD on the backup camera.

hbalek

Reactions
We took ours in for service last week because of a transmission issue. While driving down the road on the highway, I gave it gas to move around someone and instead of downshifting, the trans sounded like a it had 100 nuts and bolts rattling around the bell housing and flashed a big error on the IP that read "SHIFT SYSTEM FAULT" and I coasted to the side of the highway. I put it in park, shifted into drive and it was fine. Two days later we were doing the same thing going up an entrance ramp and the same thing happened again, but with no warning message, just a lot of grinding and no downshifting. First time it did it was in Sport Mode and the second time it was in Eco Mode.
Dropped it off and received word they were ordering a new valve body separator plate. 2020 w~55k miles not tuned.

The service department at Marshal Mize Ford in Chattanooga is a good bunch of folks, if you're in the area. It's also having the oil pan replaced again, the replacement is leaking and the BSOD on the backup camera.
Yours doesn't sound like the same problem. Mine was replacing A-Clutch and a Bracket or something and bunch of other parts.

joeclark38

Reactions

You're not alone. This just started happening to my family's ST yesterday. We got it in late 2019 and it has over 40,000 miles (so I guess we're lucky it lasted this long without problems).

For the folks who had this repair made according to the service bulletin, how long did the repair take once the dealer had the car and all the parts? A couple days? A week? Trying to get an idea since it's primarily my wife's car, and she's the primary person driving our kids around in it.