Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Transforming a 2021 exterior into the police interceptor

riverbadboy

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
So I've ordered the roof rail delete mouldings and they ran 490 for both sides. But why are the US Ford dealers so high on the steel wheels? Over 450 per rim. I plan to keep the ST wheels pristine since I have only put 1000 miles so far. In the USA I got a quote on 4 wheels, Caps, and Sensors at 2600 for all 4. Not including the 18 in tires. I found Vickar Ford dealership in Canada that ordered the same package at 954.00 US dollars. Shipping costs from Winnipeg Manitoba will be around 200.00. Its crazy how much the difference is between countries. I will post pics as soon as I get it done. Mine is Carbonized Metallic Grey. I'm new to the group and look forward to hearing about your rides.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions
you need a grille too, Im wondering if a junkyard a better source for wheels

Sbenis

Reactions
Grille, bumpers, mirrors ,headlights are all different

Last edited:
Reactions
what about the chassis brace in the rear?

Reactions
Love to see how this turns out!

you will def need a shotgun and K9 as well.

I need this interior for my dogs! F150 is my dog hauler though.

category51351.jpg

Reactions
Wouldn't it have just been easier and cheaper to start with the Interceptor with the Ecoboost 3.0 if that’s the look and feel you’re going for?

Reactions
actually they can probably install it, thermal glass and rear auxiliary air conditioner is an option for the PIU

Reactions
Why do you want your ST to look like an unmarked cop car? Wannabe?
I used to think it was funny when people slowed down as I approached them but now I find it irritating as hell.

Reactions
usually can't by a PIU without a fleet number and the leftovers for sale are usually the low HP versions, usually only HP K9 and occasionally sheriffs buy the ecoboost

OP
riverbadboy

riverbadboy

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
Starting with the interceptor is not what we are going for. I just don't like the mommy wagon rails and in the desert, where we live, Aluminum rims get torn up pretty quick. I intend to save the rims for trips Into the city and vacations. Plus you dont get anything like heated seats and steering wheel, options etc ( lol, it does get cold here as well as some 122F weather. I don't intend to do a full conversion, pretty much just wheels LB5Z 1015 B and I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion tire.

OP
riverbadboy

riverbadboy

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
My original intention for the post was to make aware that the US Ford dealers are asking sooo much more for parts than the Canadian dealers.

Reactions
I dislike the rails also, I looked at a real PIU but they wouldn't deal on it so I walked and ordered the ST, the chassis brace is what I want. The steel wheels probably increase unsprung weight, but stye can take alot of abuse, I like the look of mad max hardcore the truck has if you mod slightly, I used to get steel wheels for my 9C1 interceptor new for $60

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
My original intention for the post was to make aware that the US Ford dealers are asking sooo much more for parts than the Canadian dealers.

Its intentional to dissuade civilians from purchasing them for kicks, cuz apparently thats an issue this country has--people love to cosplay as cops. The actual invoiced price a department pays is MUCH less. Like final cost is less than $100/wheel less, but they don't include the dog bowls and for some reason THOSE are stupid expensive.

GBVx

Reactions
I was told the wheels are actually made in Canada, and thats the reason they are so much cheaper up there, I never confirmed that though.

OP
riverbadboy

riverbadboy

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
Yes, wheels finally came in and the Ford dealer in Winnipeg was great. They had originally quoted around 1200 for the whole package but when my card was processed, after the exchange rate, it came out to about 934 for 4 wheels, caps, and sensors.

Reactions
Why do you want your ST to look like an unmarked cop car? Wannabe?
I used to think it was funny when people slowed down as I approached them but now I find it irritating as hell.
I never understood it either...like with the interceptor hood badges. But I own a crown vic as well and all the guys wanting police lights and what not...i just dont get. But, to each their own

Reactions
because it looks sinister

Reactions
Let me add, if it wasn't for the ST, the performance Explorer would be the PIU eco boost !

Reactions
Something like this is a project I have pending - while I have a vehicle I use at work, there are times / scenarios where I need to use my personal vehicle for official business. I am planning on putting a light / siren package in my ST, nothing crazy, the goal is as low-profile as possible while maintaining decent effectiveness. What I wouldn't give for the "ultimate wiring harness" package that is available on the PIU...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Something like this is a project I have pending - while I have a vehicle I use at work, there are times / scenarios where I need to use my personal vehicle for official business. I am planning on putting a light / siren package in my ST, nothing crazy, the goal is as low-profile as possible while maintaining decent effectiveness. What I wouldn't give for the "ultimate wiring harness" package that is available on the PIU...
So you're a Cop?