Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Trailer Recommendations for towing Vette with ST?

Reactions
Hey Guys, wondering if anyone could maybe point me in the direction of a good trailer setup for towing my C6 Grandsport with the ST. Car weights 3370 empty with a full tank. I know ill need a fairly lightweight trailer... mostly plan on doing flat level interstate towing with it (taking the car from VA to TN and SC once or twice a year) Also any mods otherwise you recomend to help with towing?

Last edited:

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I rented and towed a travel trailer that weighed ~3500lbs. The tow mode worked great to help with acceleration and braking (engine braking). The ST has plenty of power for it. That trailer I towed didn't have its own brakes, and I think for anything heavier I'd want a trailer braking system and a brake controller put into the ST. I am pretty sure adding a brake controller to the ST is really easy to do. A previous Ford I had had an open connector behind the dash...it was just a plug and play scenario. Any trailer center will know for sure though. Also, don't go cheap with the ball or hitch pin. I paid $110 for a very nice B&W hitch which could adjust up or down to help level out the trailer. good luck!

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Do these things have factory trans coolers or would that be something good to look into upgrading?

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
Do these things have factory trans coolers or would that be something good to look into upgrading?
If you have the towing package from the factory you should have a trans cooler.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
hmm, ill have to check into it, pretty sure it does. Has the hitch and connector in the back so my assumption would be that it did.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
If you’re going to rent a trailer check out renting one from Penske all of their trailers are aluminum lightweight with a low profile to the ground easy to load and unload the vet

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
If you’re going to rent a trailer check out renting one from Penske all of their trailers are aluminum lightweight with a low profile to the ground easy to load and unload the vet
Likely going to buy one, been looking at a few brands. I'm thinking I'd like to be around the 1500-1700 empty weight range to keep it safe once loaded. I'd imagine 20-22ft should pretty much cover it. Doubt safety wise id want to go much longer

Reactions
hmm, ill have to check into it, pretty sure it does. Has the hitch and connector in the back so my assumption would be that it did.
All STs come standard with classIII towing package. Does not list under package contents if it includes a Tranny Cooler but I'm pretty sure we have one.

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
All STs come standard with classIII towing package. Does not list under package contents if it includes a Tranny Cooler but I'm pretty sure we have one.
Thats good to know, I'm excited to see how it does. Probably not the most ideal vehicle to tow with but I figured it atleast could and it checked to many other boxes not too. It'll be nice to not have to worry about driving the Vette that far anymore either. Last spring I had a caliper bolt fall out halfway through the Tail of the Dragon and had to limp it back into Pigeon Forge and make some repairs... It's gonna be nice knowing I have a trailer on standby at the cabin lol

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I don't think they do. no one on here is quite sure, but I think I looked into this when I first got the truck. The tow mode does show a transmission temperature gauge on it though. It's a pretty light total towing limit. I know it can do more, but a cooler probably isn't needed.

Rick

U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
Rapid Red
I don't think they do. no one on here is quite sure, but I think I looked into this when I first got the truck. The tow mode does show a transmission temperature gauge on it though. It's a pretty light total towing limit. I know it can do more, but a cooler probably isn't needed.
All Explorer’s with towing package from the factory have transmission coolers

OP
S
Reactions
Thread Starter #13
Have another question too while we're on the subject... How much will lowering effect all of this? I'd like to do the H&R or Steeda springs but not at the cost of loosing towing capacity.

Carbon23

Reactions
Have another question too while we're on the subject... How much will lowering effect all of this? I'd like to do the H&R or Steeda springs but not at the cost of loosing towing capacity.
I know this is an old thread. Although I have a '21 Limited, I have lowered it with Steeda springs, Steeda Pro Action shocks/struts and Steeda sway bar. I tow a 4000 pound 7.5x7x16 aluminum cargo trailer I converted in to a camper. With the new suspension, it tows remarkably better than stock. The Limited is obviously sprung softer than the ST but the Steeda suspension does great. 1.5" of rear squat with 450 pounds of tongue weight.

Also have 285/60/R18 Toyo Proxes ST3 on Black Rhino Boxers 18x8.5 +12 offset. This also helps a bit as the track is wider and the tires better than the stock Michelins (255/55/20).

Attachments

FNTony496

Reactions
Vehicle
22 Atlas Blue ST
I know this is an old thread. Although I have a '21 Limited, I have lowered it with Steeda springs, Steeda Pro Action shocks/struts and Steeda sway bar. I tow a 4000 pound 7.5x7x16 aluminum cargo trailer I converted in to a camper. With the new suspension, it tows remarkably better than stock. The Limited is obviously sprung softer than the ST but the Steeda suspension does great. 1.5" of rear squat with 450 pounds of tongue weight.

Also have 285/60/R18 Toyo Proxes ST3 on Black Rhino Boxers 18x8.5 +12 offset. This also helps a bit as the track is wider and the tires better than the stock Michelins (255/55/20).
That's a really good looking wheel/tire setup. Do you have any rubbing issues?

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Likely going to buy one, been looking at a few brands. I'm thinking I'd like to be around the 1500-1700 empty weight range to keep it safe once loaded. I'd imagine 20-22ft should pretty much cover it. Doubt safety wise id want to go much longer
22' is way to long for a vette. you could get away with 16' but I like 18' because I have a few classic cars that are huge.
Def get aluminum and check out the tilt trailers or Futra trailer makes a really bas ass lowering trailer. they also have tire racks for you race tires. I have the tilt kind and will be selling that sooner or later for the Futura lowering trailer. here a link to what I think is the best trailer

https://www.futuratrailers.com/?utm...MI_Z6s5c-M-AIVJQ_nCh0OEAZBEAAYASAAEgJpefD_BwE

Carbon23

Reactions
That's a really good looking wheel/tire setup. Do you have any rubbing issues?
No rubbing at all. Was the tallest tire (31.5") that could fit with no rubbing. I tried a 275/65/18 (32.1") AT tire and that rubbed at the back of the fender well while turning.