Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Trail rash

Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
I got some trail rash on my new explorer. Im wondering if I could use the same turtle wax scratch repair for the clearcoat on the black glossy trim around the windows and on the top of the side mirrors? The scratch I have (and swirls marks from the dealer) on the black trim around the windows drives me nuts because its so noticeable. I can post a picture if the location isnt clear

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I got some trail rash on my new explorer. Im wondering if I could use the same turtle wax scratch repair for the clearcoat on the black glossy trim around the windows and on the top of the side mirrors? The scratch I have (and swirls marks from the dealer) on the black trim around the windows drives me nuts because its so noticeable. I can post a picture if the location isnt clear
If you want to get all of the swirls out, follow these steps.

- Wash it good.
- Clay bar the car.
- Wipe down thoroughly.
- Use Meguiar's Ultra Cut 105. (Use a Porter-Cable 7424xp or similar with the correct pad for this)
- Wipe down thoroughly.
- Use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Ultra Finish 205. (Use a Porter-Cable 7424xp or similar with the correct pad for this)
- Wipe down thoroughly.
- Ceramic coat it.
- Stand back and enjoy the beauty of your hard work.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
I cant really afford a ceramic coat right now but i will try the other stuff thanks

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
OP
P
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
Is it possible to mess it up and do damage? I was reading ceramic coatings are for the pros

Cajun Heat

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
It really is pretty easy and this is a good product, been using it for years. Just make sure that the car is in a cool and in a dry place (out of the sun) and it is just like hand waxing a car. Do one section at a time and you are good to go.

Disclaimer. With enough practice, you can F-up just about anything if you try hard enough.:cool:

Last edited:
OP
P
Reactions
Vehicle
Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
It really is pretty easy and this is a good product, been using it for years. Just make sure that the car is in a cool and in a dry place (out of the sun) and it is just like hand waxing a car. Do one section at a time and you are good to go.

Disclaimer. With enough practice, you can F-up just about anything if you try hard enough.:cool:
Disclaimer: that sounds like me :)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Sounds like you need a DA polisher and some light cut polish unless the scratches are down into the base coat but that doesn’t seem to be the case per your post. You can also have a Detailer take care of it for a reasonable price if you don’t feel comfortable polishing but, it’s really easy to do and with a Dual Action Polisher it’s hard to burn through the paint as it’s easy with a high speed single action polisher.