Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Towing with the Explorer ST

SToked206

Reactions
I've had my Explorer for about 300 miles and picked it up a week ago Thursday. Today my dad and I took our 17 foot Boston Whaler out for a few hours on Puget Sound. Towing was what I expected: didn't even feel the weight of the boat behind me and loved how the tow/haul mode down-shifts when braking to aid in slowing. I found backing the trailer down the ramp was a bitch because I couldn't see the trailer to orientate myself. I noticed another boater backing down the ramp in their Pathfinder, their tailgate hatch open. I applied their method and found it infinitely easier to see what I was doing. Despite 13 different warning messages and chimes, mission accomplished. My wife has a 302R Mustang she races but the trailer has trailer brakes. Anybody have a recommendation for a trailer brake controller setup they like and why? Appreciate any insight ya'll may have.

Reactions
OK, maybe a stupid question but if my ST has a towing setup should I not assume it has a controller for the trailer brakes? My 4runner was the same basic factory setup and trailer brake controls were built in.

Second, on the subject of towing, I am thinking of doing the Steeda springs to improve handling and stance but don't want to effect my towing capabilities too much. Does anyone have experience with a spring kit on their vehicle and still do a lot of towing?

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
First time towing with my ST last week when I rented a 16' trailer rated around 3000lbs. I don't know the tongue weight, but am guessing it was less than 500. I towed with a standard hitch, no weight distribution and there wasn't any noticeable sag. No brakes on this trailer and the towing mode was great with the engine downshifting. I was really impressed with how smoothly it towed and found torque when it needed it. I got 11.7MPG on the mostly highway roads. Hilly country roads were probably closer to 9mpg.
Trailer Blind Spot feature was very easy to set up and worked great!

As above, curious if there is a brake controller feature built in? Will it show up if I plug in a trailer with powered brakes? If not, what's the best install option for this?

Thanks and happy towing!

20201128_093918.jpg

Casperek

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions
I've had my Explorer for about 300 miles and picked it up a week ago Thursday. Today my dad and I took our 17 foot Boston Whaler out for a few hours on Puget Sound. Towing was what I expected: didn't even feel the weight of the boat behind me and loved how the tow/haul mode down-shifts when braking to aid in slowing. I found backing the trailer down the ramp was a bitch because I couldn't see the trailer to orientate myself. I noticed another boater backing down the ramp in their Pathfinder, their tailgate hatch open. I applied their method and found it infinitely easier to see what I was doing. Despite 13 different warning messages and chimes, mission accomplished. My wife has a 302R Mustang she races but the trailer has trailer brakes. Anybody have a recommendation for a trailer brake controller setup they like and why? Appreciate any insight ya'll may have.
I have a 21 ST which I use to tow a 21ft. single axle camping trailer. I put in the RedArc trailer brake controller and it works great.
Took me about 30 min. all said to install. My trailer is 3200lb dry and I've had no issues packing it up for long weekends.
FYI, I didn't take these pictures! They are the ones I used for the installation.
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-elite-electric-brake-controller

Attachments

Last edited:

Casperek

U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
Reactions