Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Tire options for the ST 21’s

Capzir

Reactions
Alright y’all I just crossed 62k in my ST with the HP pack and need to get a new tire setup.

mess originally considering switching to an 17 or a 20 but after some mock fitting at my local discount tire I do really like the look of the wheels.

That being said I am trying to find a unicorn in a “meatier” looking tire with good performance. My car is bolt on intake/exhaust/dp/tune so I don’t want to completely lose street grip since that is 90% of my driving (in a land surveyor/contractor) but with my job I do go onto a lot of mild offroad/dirt roads and was wanting something a little more truck like.

do any of the tire gurus on here know of something I can take a look at?

with that being said I’m also wondering how much larger of a tire I can run. I know the stock scorpion zeros are 275/45/r21 which is 30.75 tall. How much more do you think I can go up without major cutting? I don’t mind minor trimming.

OP
C

Capzir

Reactions
Thread Starter #2
I also am running a 1 inch spacer but can be changed out or removed if needed.

F=MA

Reactions
One thing you will have to consider is many tire choices are unavailable or discontinued right now. You can literally watch tire sizes disappear from availability in real time on Tirerack.

OP
C

Capzir

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
One thing you will have to consider is many tire choices are unavailable or discontinued right now. You can literally watch tire sizes disappear from availability in real time on Tirerack.
thats why my original plan was to swap in to 20s with an AT but with these last two years being what they were I just need something to keep goin. Was hoping maybe to find something bigger or meatier due to this being more of a “street” truck in my area.

So I either spend 1400 on 21s or 2800 on wheels and tires. Any clue on the diameter thing? Can I push past the stock tire height?

F=MA

Reactions
Started out with 10.5x22 +30 wheels and 305/35/22 tires. I found the wide 305 tire followed the road a bit more than I liked and the low profile 35 tire was a bit rough going over pavement cracks. I have since changed to 295/40/22 tires and it does not follow the road at all with the slightly narrower 295 tire and the taller sidewall definitely helps cushion the ride.
IMG_0087.JPG

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I’m also wondering how much larger of a tire I can run. I know the stock scorpion zeros are 275/45/r21 which is 30.75 tall. How much more do you think I can go up without major cutting? I don’t mind minor trimming.
I have 285/50-20 Pirelli Scorpions, and those are 31.2, and I have plenty of clearance. I think most of the guys running 22x10.5 wheels here are close on width, but actually shorter in height.

Reactions
I’ve contacted BFG and requested they offer the advantage t/a sport in 275/45r21, or a comparable all season. Customer support told me they’d pass the message on to the development team. Fingers crossed for a future offering.

Reactions
Started out with 10.5x22 +30 wheels and 305/35/22 tires. I found the wide 305 tire followed the road a bit more than I liked and the low profile 35 tire was a bit rough going over pavement cracks. I have since changed to 295/40/22 tires and it does not follow the road at all with the slightly narrower 295 tire and the taller sidewall definitely helps cushion the ride.
View attachment 9473
Looks Nice... did you just change the rim and tire size? Or did you lower it also?

Jon_Solo

Reactions
View attachment 9473
This looks perfect. Assume you have lowering springs and still don't have issues? Looks like a 295/40R22 is about 31.3" OD vs the 305/35R22 at 30.5" OD but .5" narrower which I assume is where people get some rubbing.

Last edited:
Reactions
I went with the same size but switched from Scorpions to the P Zero Summer (I'm in Atlanta so no need for all seasons) and I'm much happier. On the downside I'm pretty sure I'll be lucky to get 20K out of them. They are sticky though.