Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Throttle Sensor?

Buckles

Reactions
My ST has been at the dealership for the last couple days.
it’s having intermittent issues accelerating.
I initially had this problem a couple months ago and the dealership couldn’t ever recreate the problem.
Fast forward to this week, same issue and same response from the dealership.

The way it’s behaving reminds me of a TPS problem I had with an F150 years ago.
Does the ST even have a TPS?
Anyone have an idea of what else could cause this?

Attachments

Reactions
Service department can't figure this out with tech line help? Ridiculous.

JRPST

Reactions
I just had an issue today upon accelerating with the ST lurching and seemingly not getting any power. It almost seemed like it was in limp mode. I'd try to accelerate and it wouldn't go more than 6 mph and no power was getting to the engine. Then all the sudden it would lurch forward and then not go anywhere. I had been idling in a parking lot for a handful of minutes prior and shut the engine off. I started the engine to leave the parking lot, everything seemed normal until I tried to accelerate out into traffic and it wouldn't go. I stopped and turned back into an empty lot and could again barely go. I stopped the engine and restarted the car and it wasn't getting the appropriate power again. Stopped and restarted again and drove it in lot seemed okay enough to drive home in traffic...I'll be calling the dealership but of course I am afraid they won't be able to recreate it...tried to pull codes here at home and there were none thrown. Any word from your dealer??

OP
B

Buckles

Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I just had an issue today upon accelerating with the ST lurching and seemingly not getting any power. It almost seemed like it was in limp mode. I'd try to accelerate and it wouldn't go more than 6 mph and no power was getting to the engine. Then all the sudden it would lurch forward and then not go anywhere. I had been idling in a parking lot for a handful of minutes prior and shut the engine off. I started the engine to leave the parking lot, everything seemed normal until I tried to accelerate out into traffic and it wouldn't go. I stopped and turned back into an empty lot and could again barely go. I stopped the engine and restarted the car and it wasn't getting the appropriate power again. Stopped and restarted again and drove it in lot seemed okay enough to drive home in traffic...I'll be calling the dealership but of course I am afraid they won't be able to recreate it...tried to pull codes here at home and there were none thrown. Any word from your dealer??
Nothing new from my dealer, other than promising to have the service manager call me.

Reactions
did you try leaving the battery unhooked overnight? i am trying that now

Reactions
I don't know if this will help, but there are several threads on F150 forums describing similar symptoms and pointing the the throttle body as a possible cause. My 2 cents.

Reactions
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dealer re-programmed the body control module. everything is back to normal.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dealer re-programmed the body control module. everything is back to normal.
I have had similar issue as described above, 1 time I am sure of. I have also notice that if I hit from a stop when turning at an intersection. A couple times it has behaved almost like it 'floods out' and hesitates for just a moment then kicks in pretty strong. Are you able to share a copy of the dealer's service ticket? I ask because looking for the issue description (so I can use it) and if they listed version(s) of whatever they updated....

Reactions
I have had similar issue as described above, 1 time I am sure of. I have also notice that if I hit from a stop when turning at an intersection. A couple times it has behaved almost like it 'floods out' and hesitates for just a moment then kicks in pretty strong. Are you able to share a copy of the dealer's service ticket? I ask because looking for the issue description (so I can use it) and if they listed version(s) of whatever they updated....
yes i can take a picture later. but what you are describing is different from what we were getting. we are getting a solid loss of power, almost like it is in a limp mode of sorts.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yes i can take a picture later. but what you are describing is different from what we were getting. we are getting a solid loss of power, almost like it is in a limp mode of sorts.
Thank you sir. I did have that power loss 1 time, similar to Buckles' video, as well. Appreciate the support!

Reactions
Nothing new from my dealer, other than promising to have the service manager call me.
What ended up being the fix? I have the exact issue from your video going on.

Reactions
What ended up being the fix? I have the exact issue from your video going on.
This how now happened a second time. Does anyone know the cause of the OP's video?

shwn91

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Having a similar issue but my Power Train Malfunction light came on. If it's possible for you to post the paper you received from the service department. Leaving out personal details of course. I've had a nightmare time with my dealership so I'm trying everything.