Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Throttle Lag

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
These vehicles are incredibly complex, and there are going to be situations where the vehicle just doesn't respond the way one might expect. If you're not aware, the ST has a steering wheel angle sensor. It uses info from this along with speed sensor, yaw sensors, torque sensors, acceleration, etc to try and avoid dangerous situations. Other vehicles exhibit the same behavior and in some cases tuners have isolated the ecu maps and provided fixes. Whether those maps are visible to the tuning community depends on whether the tuner's devices have access to those tables.

There might be some benefit on the turning issue to disable the traction control.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Suprawill1, I experience the throttle lag in either sport or normal, doesn't seem to matter. I imagine yours would be the same, but curious to hear.

Dennis, I habitually turn traction control off and still have the issue myself, but thay right turn I make is more of a yield then a full stop, and I wonder if that's the difference? That said, it doesn't occur for me exclusively on right turns either.
In my case, I hadn't experienced any problems in turns. My lag comes from sudden full acceleration while in 4th gear and up. It is more prominent in normal mode and can be as long as 2 seconds before it responds. The lag is definitely shorter in sport mode. In 1st through 3rd gears, I get quick response. In higher gears, it wants to downshift first and that in and of itself causes a bit of lag.

Reactions
Dennis, I habitually turn traction control off and still have the issue myself, but thay right turn I make is more of a yield then a full stop, and I wonder if that's the difference? That said, it doesn't occur for me exclusively on right turns either.
There is a specific full stop turn from a side street onto PCH with a bit of upward slope where I can replicate the issue with traction control vs without.

Your yield seems more like the other issue where sudden steering input and gas cause the lag for whatever likely safety reason.

Do I miss throttle linkage and carburators?

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
There is a specific full stop turn from a side street onto PCH with a bit of upward slope where I can replicate the issue with traction control vs without.

Your yield seems more like the other issue where sudden steering input and gas cause the lag for whatever likely safety reason.

Do I miss throttle linkage and carburators?

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

That sudden steering input and acceleration cause lag for safety reasons just doesn't make sense, especially when in sport mode. Sport mode even puts the shift schedule into higher RPMs so that it will be in spooled up range for power at command. That kind of driving characteristic is expected in sport driving, especially when cornering or doing any racing other than straight ahead drag.
I'm going to go with TMac on this one in that these STs are so complex and have so many computational signals bouncing off of each other that it can confuse itself. In that event, maybe it's designed to default to the side of caution but I don't think that lag is programmed intentionally to normal or racing driving habits.

Copy that on the old school linkage! I was thinking about that just a couple days ago when the pedal response seemed it wasn't like it used to be.
That's speaking from a stock point of view. From what I've seen, ZFG def makes it much more spirited!