Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

thoughts on potential purchase (or deposit on build)

skipdup

Reactions
So, in my younger years, we bought new cars every year or two. Got older and quit caring about street cars and did start caring about new car depreciation. I haven't bought anything new in 15 years - so I feel like a fish out of water. Just recently I've become obsessed with the ST. Of course, I decide to come out of my hiatus into this craziness. :)

I've been looking for a white ST, pano roof, tech package & street package. Haven't had much luck and had a bunch of frustrating conversations with sales reps that didn't seem to know much of anything about anything.

Made one last call tonight and had a very pleasant conversation with a local internet sales manager that "seemed" to know his stuff. The guy said they have the exact car I want on order. Systems shows it's "on the line" at the factory (for whatever that's worth these days). Said he could take $2,500 MSRP with dealer discount and another $1,000 off if I finance through Ford. Not sure I believe any of that.

But, that said and all things considered, would that a good enough deal for this time were in? If so, I think I "may" go in on Friday and lock it up.

Thanks,
Skip

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
What matters that it sounds good to you. With the current chip shortage, production is limited at best. I'm reading Ford Chicago Assembly is down again next week and limited still after that. It may be awhile before you get your vehicle if its on the assembly line. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions
If you think it’s a good deal for you, pull the trigger. The vehicle is great. No regrets at all buying my 2021.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
There is no way anyone is getting the deals these days that they were handing out for the 2020s. The demand in the car market right now is plain stupid crazy. That plus the initial discounted price of the 2021 vs. the 2020, AND the sales guy is willing to offer $2500 off MSRP? Sounds like a REALLY good deal to me.

The extra money from Ford if you finance with them is a good deal too (depending on interest rate). I've had nothing but really good interactions with their loan servicing folks. If their rate beats your own financing, or that $1000 is more than the money you would save with your financing rate vs. Ford's, go for it. Glad to hear you found a dealer that understands car shopping today and isn't badgering you to come in the door to "negotiate".

OP
S

skipdup

Reactions
Thread Starter #5
False alarm. When I get there, internet sale guy tells me he doesn't actually sell cars, hands me off to floor guy, and disappears.
No deals. No incentives. Won't talk price at all. Him and some manager of something were literally the worst caricature of the worst of car buying. Can't believe this crap still goes on. Was literally the worst interaction I've ever had (admittedly, haven't had any in 15 years). When we left, my poor wife got into the car and said she felt she needed a shower. Needless to say, they shall not see one dime of my money.

Going to rethink and regroup... Probably just wait.

Thanks all for the help!

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
False alarm. When I get there, internet sale guy tells me he doesn't actually sell cars, hands me off to floor guy, and disappears.
No deals. No incentives. Won't talk price at all. Him and some manager of something were literally the worst caricature of the worst of car buying. Can't believe this crap still goes on. Was literally the worst interaction I've ever had (admittedly, haven't had any in 15 years). When we left, my poor wife got into the car and said she felt she needed a shower. Needless to say, they shall not see one dime of my money.

Thanks all for the help!
I have to think once the chip shortage is over, the market will be flooded with vehicles and the deals will come back. You'll have to hang around the forum, and let us know when you find your Explorer.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions

Thanks all for the help!
I feel your pain! I have bought more than my share of new cars- some nice experiences, some terrible. Worst was looking at a Toyota Supra Turbo back in '93. Brought along my trade-in which they took to put on the rack and inspect. Meanwhile, I sat there while the sales guy talked endlessly about how great the new car was. He wouldn't put a price on the new car so I knew I was in trouble. After about a 30 minutes of run-around, I said no thanks and asked for my car to leave. He then sent in the high pressure guy to wrangle with me more. After another 10-15 minutes he claimed they couldn't find my keys! I was so beside myself (I was younger then), that I finally grabbed him by his lapels and told him in no uncertain terms that either my keys would be placed on the table, or his head. He disappeared into the previous office we were in and returned my keys while letting me know that I couldn't afford the car anyway. They hadn't even checked out my trade-in. Two weeks later at a different Toyota dealership I cut a great deal. Keep looking.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
My experiences buying "NEW CARS" has been entirely different. I've dealt with only 2 sales persons over the past 30 years and 1 of these guys for the past 10 vehicles. They know me, I know them and it's always been a good experience.

Reactions
I have learned that I never give anyone at the dealership my car keys or license until a final deal is made. You cannot leave without those items in their hands and they do not want you to leave until a sale is closed. If the old car is a trade in, I go out on the lot with the sales person. If they want to check out the car, I drive them. Keys are not handed over until any deal is closed. If they do not want to play this way on a new car or used car deal, I leave. So they get no sale or commission.
The current Ford dealer I use knows this and I have bought seven new Fords from them over the past 25 years. If the sales person is not one I know, they are reminded of my procedure. All purchases are cash, no financing.
I tell them that it is not personal, just business!:cool:

Dave G ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I still see some new 2020's available if you are willing to go that route. Should be much more wiggle room when it comes to pricing. I think you will find mostly non Street Pack versions when it comes to the leftover 2020's. Either way, I feel any ST is awesome.

Reactions
In regards to deals, I bought my 21 Explorer ST as a dealer demo in March (3100 mi.). I traded in a 2016 GMC Yukon. I worked the whole deal through the e-mails and a few phone calls. I got top dollar for the Yukon and got a great deal on the ST (49K). I just did another deal on a 21 XLT with Appearance Pkg., Panoramic Sunroof and other Accessories. It was a dealer demo (3300 mi.). Again, I did the whole transaction through e-mails and a few calls. I got top dollar for my trade and the dealer took $5417 off of MSRP for the Explorer. Their are deals out there, you just have to be patient and review daily. I use Cargurus, Cars, Autotrader and others for searching. Good Luck on your continued search.