Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Thoughts on CRC Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner

Reactions
I have used this on my supercharged DI Chevys many times. It is a pain in the butt to inject in the throttle body while someone is keeping the engine revving but did a pretty good job keeping the intake valves cleaner than normal.

Since our STs are also DI, who is using this or similar product and any issues so far?

Attachments

OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
We’ve got DI engines so I’m surprised no one is chiming in...

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
If you use this from the beginning and use it regularly I believe it can be a good thing. That said if the first time you decide to use it is at 70,000 miles I worry that you could loosen a chunk of carbon off of the back of a valve and put it through a turbo. That could be problematic. If you’re looking for a product that may be easier to apply take a look at SeaFoam’s product they have a unique applicator tube. I’m not suggesting it to be a superior product, I think all of the products in this category are pretty much same, same.

I have used this type of product on naturally aspirated engines with mostly good success. There was a time (Ford 2.3L) that a chunk of carbon got hammered between the valve and the seat. Lost compression in that cylinder, it would not come off even using a couple more cans of product. Ultimately the head had to come off to get that cylinder back.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Well that's a good tip! I'd like to start using it around oil change intervals. I'm still under 2k miles so havent changed mine yet. I think it did a good job on my 2015 Silverado. I cleaned my intake valves by hand at 20k miles. They were disgusting. Then I added the Whipple supercharger on top and started using the CRC from then on with seemingly good results!

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Anyone use that stuff yet? Thinking of trying this as preventative maintenance. Do I just disconnect the intake from the throttle body and spray in? Last thing I want to do is screw something up on our new car. Bought new in March and have 5,000 miles on it now. Just had first oil change last week at the dealer. Switched to full synthetic.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I thought all the new ford engine had 12 injector. 6 DI and 6 Port.
Was I wrong?

StarWhite22

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
My understanding is this engine is direct injection only.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
ST engine is DI only. That's why you see a lot of people installing catch cans.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
ST engine is DI only. That's why you see a lot of people installing catch cans.
Oh man. Guess I need a catch can. ugh.

My brother 2010 Audi Q5 with 160K mile. I help him walnut blast the intake last weekend.
Before Pictures
2010 Audi Q5.jpg

My old 2011 Ford Flex Ecoboost at 146K miles back in 2019. Before I walnut blast the intake.
Before Pictures. I used the CRC Intake Valve 3 time on the flex. I don't think it help much.
2011 Ford Flex.jpg