Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

This may bee hard to beelieve.....

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
So I'm mowing the yard today trimming around the pine trees with a push mower. All of a sudden, I'm surrounded by honey bees but not getting stung. What do I do? Run like a girl to get away from them! Turns out to be a bee swarm, one solid mass of bees surrounding the queen! This was around head level on the blind side of where I was mowing. From what I've read, once they find a suitable location to nest, they'll move on. :)

IMG_1586 (2).JPG IMG_1590 (2).JPG

Reactions
At least they’re not Murder Hornets!

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
I'm surprised you were ballsy enough to take the picture!

OP
Autoworker

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
I'm surprised you were ballsy enough to take the picture!
This swarm is probably half the bees from another hive. A new queen, the bees gorge themselves with nectar and honey to take to the new location. They’re pretty slow right now. At least that’s what I read online. LOL

Last edited:
OP
Autoworker

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Update: We were told that the swarm wouldn't survive the winter in the wild. Too late in the season. We had a bee keeper (bee whisperer) come out and put them in a hive box. He will supply them with nectar and honey and they'll bee fine. I'm guessing a hundred or so didn't make the trip and they're pissed off! Learned a little about honey bees that I didn't know.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Good for you! I'm sure they'll be happy to make a trip south to pollinate there.