Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

This Ford ST is turning out to be a major piece of SHI*!!

NYC1MOE

Reactions
I've been having issues since new. Getting fault codes like traction control, StabiliTrak, cross-traffic amongst other codes.
But now the climate control doesn't work, the windows don't roll up or down and I can't get the rear hatch to open.
I've had trouble with the radio going blank and when it does work it's very slow.
I'm also getting a clunking sound in the front end.
I called my local dealer (Hempstead Ford) and they said they can't look at for at least a few weeks.
I had a 2018 Ford Explorer Sport that I absolutely hated and this is a much better truck for handling and performance.
But I had zero issues with that truck.

Reactions
I had a 2018 Ford Explorer Sport that I absolutely hated
So go out and purchase a 2020 ST?? Not a Sport, XLT or Platinum but a ST knowing 2020's where built from the ground up.

Should've waited until 2021 version where most of the problematic kinks are worked out. But that's saying the 2021 are built without issue.

Many of the people on the forums here and FB have little to no issues with theirs. A lot of people are going to the dealership for a update which seems to be fixing a lot of sensor issues.

I had a 2017 Sport and didn't have one issue with it. Purchased a 2020 ST and haven't had a single issue. Could just be the dealership sold you a lemon...

Reactions
There are how many Ford dealers in the metro NYC area ? Find a different dealer ...........
Simple solution IMHO

KegsBdry

Reactions
We all have gremlins but hold it together. Everything you’ve mentioned sounds like a grounding issue. All those problems could not be happening at once.

Go to a dealer, get it resolved FOR FREE. And if the dealer cannot see you for weeks, GO TO ANOTHER ONE. I drive an extra 20 mins out of my way to a further dealer just to get good service.

Blk_Ravn_ST

Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
@KegsBdry im with ya on service. When I had my VW R32 I would drive sometimes 50 mins to a better service Dept as I had issues with other nearby. Unfortunate that happens but it’s just the way things go at times.

Reactions
with these newer computerized system that are in constant communication with each other, a lot of times these issues are just simple software updates. At Audi we do lots of software updates LOTS!!

Reactions
My 2017 explorer sport was no stranger to the dealership for warranty issues. Most were cosmetic but QC was not that good on it. Sometimes it just is luck of the draw.

I agree about your hate for your previous sport. I found mine a bitch to park in a regular parking stall, the seating position was awkward (too close to the middle of the vehicle), the handling was poor, access to the 3rd row required one of my kids to go in and out of the vehicle through the hatch, and the FWD bias didn't do the driving dynamics any favors.
Just like you, my dislike of the outgoing model made getting a new ST seem like a good decision as I could see the previous explorers plummeting in value once Ford gets a grip on the issues that some of the early build 2020+ ones are having.

The brakes were very good and with a tune and 3 bar MAP sensor, it was a beast. But I don't even miss it one little bit. This is the only vehicle that I had ever owned that I did not feel any emotional attachment to.

KegsBdry

Reactions
I've been having issues since new. Getting fault codes like traction control, StabiliTrak, cross-traffic amongst other codes.
But now the climate control doesn't work, the windows don't roll up or down and I can't get the rear hatch to open.
I've had trouble with the radio going blank and when it does work it's very slow.
I'm also getting a clunking sound in the front end.
I called my local dealer (Hempstead Ford) and they said they can't look at for at least a few weeks.
I had a 2018 Ford Explorer Sport that I absolutely hated and this is a much better truck for handling and performance.
But I had zero issues with that truck.

Maybe I spoke too soon. Mine had the same faults today: " Getting fault codes like traction control, StabiliTrak, cross-traffic amongst other codes." Dropped it off at the dealership after my 'power steering cut out'!!!! Ain't this some sh*t. I still like the vehicle, just sick of these electrical issues.

Reactions
Take pictures when it happens. This helps document your case, as well as provide information for the service department.

It‘s now a safety issue and you might want to consider asking for a replacement vehicle.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Take pictures when it happens. This helps document your case, as well as provide information for the service department.

It‘s now a safety issue and you might want to consider asking for a replacement vehicle.
Oh, I've learned from this forum to do that. But the problem is I already put a Borla S-Type after market exhaust. I'd be some $$$ in the hole. Plus, I'm a second owner. Will a Ford dealership take a vehicle they didn't sell to me back?!
2020-06-26 15_20_17-Photo - Google Photos - Slimjet.png 2020-06-26 15_25_48-Photos - Google Photos - Slimjet.png

Griffin

Reactions
Maybe I spoke too soon. Mine had the same faults today: " Getting fault codes like traction control, StabiliTrak, cross-traffic amongst other codes." Dropped it off at the dealership after my 'power steering cut out'!!!! Ain't this some sh*t. I still like the vehicle, just sick of these electrical issues.
I had many of these same faults. After some digging it turned out to be the module connectors. To the technicians credit he did not think it was the modules so he looked at all my connectors. The tech told me these connectors have pins in them the module I guess plugs into. On two connectors, the pins were crushed thereby not making a good connection and keeping the systems from talking to each other. Once all the bad connectors were replaced and the modules seated correctly, they reprogramed and it fixed all the problems. It has now been 3 months without a single fault.

KegsBdry

Reactions
Did your power-steering go out for a bit too? I sent your message to the Ford Service dept. Hopefully, they take some advice!

KegsBdry

Reactions
UPDATE: Part coming in for some component on the NEGATIVE side of the battery. They say this 'pin' melted and required a part from corporate to arrive. 2 days to get here. Will keep everyone updated.

KegsBdry

Reactions
UPDATE: Called twice to notify I'll be showing to pickup the Explorer on Sunday (since there is no $ due (service is closed), it is deemed okay by the dealership). Show up and no one knows where my car keys are located. Next day, they deliver my car to my home with a full tank of 93 octane. Repaired and seems to be working. I will take a long drive to make sure this week. Just glad the car is back in the garage.