Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Things you wish you had the dealership roll into loan

Reactions
I bought my F150 new in 2016, and within the first year I added things I wish I would have just had the dealership do and rolled the cost into my loan. Namely, spray-in bed liner, bed cover, and window tint.

Are there things you did, or wish you did at the dealership that could have been rolled into your loan? Wheels/tires, tint, etc?

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I don’t add anything at all. Everything you listed or could list can be had cheaper and better after purchase.

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Def add it on after and not into the loan. Cheaper options on Ford Factory warranty. My dealer did get me $100 over cost for mine. Though my loan APR is extremely low, it’s not 0% and paying 0% interest on my warranty was better m.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
I asked the F&I guy whether the dealership had someone doing ceramic coating. He had no idea what that is and offered me Ford fabric protection. :oops:

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Def add it on after and not into the loan. Cheaper options on Ford Factory warranty. My dealer did get me $100 over cost for mine. Though my loan APR is extremely low, it’s not 0% and paying 0% interest on my warranty was better m.
What was your out the door cost? What options?

Staggie

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
What was your out the door cost? What options?
Had to pull the paperwork. 6 year, 125K with $0 deductible and wife added triple care. $2300 for the warranty and $750 for the 8 year triple care. I had my wheels repaired due to the hit and run before, so I’ll get my $750 back on wheel coverage.

OP
bigcat1185
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
My dealership is pretty cool and basically said what ever I want them to buy, just send them the info and it will be rolled into the loan. I already reached out to the window tint shop that did my truck and had them send a quote over to my salesman for a full tint job. Slap on parts like wheel spacers, black FORD badges, and anything else I can do myself, I plan to add later after the vehicle is home. But rolling in window tint make sense to me as it will be the same product and price either way.

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 ST
Sorry for bringing back an older thread, but I came across it while looking for similar info. It's great that your dealership is open to rolling additional items into your loan! Adding things like a spray-in bed liner, bed cover, and window tint can really enhance your truck.
Personally, I wish I had had the dealership install aftermarket wheels and tires when I bought my F150. It would have been convenient to have it all taken care of upfront and included in the loan.
By the way, I recently stumbled upon a Mortgage Broker in Swansea while browsing online. They specialize in loans and might offer some valuable insights when it comes to financing and rolling additional items into your loan.
You used a UK mortgage broker for your Los Angeles house? :rolleyes::unsure:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
He's a spammer- just putting out an ad.

Kermit1320

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Looks like this thread was resurrected from the dead (10/2021). Interest rates have changed drastically. Right now, about 5% is good with a local credit union or bank trying to earn your business. Other less hungry places may be 7-8%. All assuming good credit of course.

I saw Ford had 0% offers up to 36 months, but that was limited to Explorer XLT models.

I mention the rates because adding lots of small things also means a bigger payment and paying more interest. More importantly, it raises your loan to vehicle ratio. Most people try to put $0 down, or as little as possible. So when you start rolling things into the loan like tint, bed cover, warranties, tag/title/taxes, negative equity, adjusted dealer markups (ADM's), etc it's easy to supersede 100% of the vehicle value.

Each bank has their own policies regarding loan values, but generally speaking 100%+ values are considered riskier than those < 100%. The more perceived risk the bank takes, the higher the interest rate. And the wheel goes round & round.

All that to say that adding stuff into the loan is not really advantageous for the long term from a financial perspective. Maybe if you are getting 0% it can be justified to a point, but when you start staying at 100% loan value or creeping over, you should also consider paying for GAP coverage so that if you total your vehicle prior to having it paid off (or at least to a break-even level), you will have some protection and not get caught upside down.

I'd add stuff like tint and other accessories later via a 3rd party and pay cash. You remove the dealer from the equation and likely get better quality and lower markups/prices as well. Plus it's good to feel the pain of paying the cash -- it keeps your upgrades in perspective and from overspending.