Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Theft

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello, I just bought a 2020 ST on the weekend. I am curious what people are doing to protect their vehicles from theft?

Also is any one using steering wheel locks? If so which one?

Thanks in advanced.

V3nom3nom

Nurse
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Nothing. Insurance will cover it.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I lock the doors and keep the key with me.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #5
I bought a Faraday pouch for the key fob to prevent RF theft. I was just curious if anyone has done anything and or has concerns. Thanks for all the replies.

Reactions
A fellow salesman left his keys in his Explorer constantly and it was stolen from the parking lot one day.

We used Fordpass to track it down and find it haha. True story.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I bought a Faraday pouch for the key fob to prevent RF theft. I was just curious if anyone has done anything and or has concerns. Thanks for all the replies.
I don't see the advantage to one. Keeping the key with me seems to work. By doing so I can walk up to my vehicle and just open the door. If the key was in a pouch wouldn't you need to remove it to unlock and start your vehicle? Tell me if I'm wrong because I have no experience with one.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #8
I don't see the advantage to one. Keeping the key with me seems to work. By doing so I can walk up to my vehicle and just open the door. If the key was in a pouch wouldn't you need to remove it to unlock and start your vehicle? Tell me if I'm wrong because I have no experience with one.

You are correct

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The faraday pouch stays in the house. You take out the fob and put it in your pocket when you are going to use the car. I was told that the ford fobs stay active for 15 minutes after the last detected motion of the fob, hence the need for the faraday pouch.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The faraday pouch stays in the house. You take out the fob and put it in your pocket when you are going to use the car. I was told that the ford fobs stay active for 15 minutes after the last detected motion of the fob, hence the need for the faraday pouch.
Well I just tested that. I went out to my Explorer and locked it with the key FOB. Came back in the house and set it on the table. Went back out and tried to open a door. It stayed locked. Time elapsed maybe 2 minutes. Seems to me it sounds like sales hype.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
The fob needs to be with a few feet of the vehicle to work, but a thief with the right equipment could easily pick up your signal from 50' away or more and clone that signal.

OP
M
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Thread Starter #12
Another way a thief can take your vehicle is by plugging in to your obd port and cloning a new key fob. This can take minutes to complete. I am new to the st and just want to understand if this is indeed possible?

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
The fob needs to be with a few feet of the vehicle to work, but a thief with the right equipment could easily pick up your signal from 50' away or more and clone that signal.
If that's the case you would need the faraday pouch and put the FOB in it every time you got out of the car and locked it. I am not going to do that, if they want it that bad they can have it. Then it becomes my insurance companies problem.