Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sync and Screen Size...

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST--2021 F-150 Powerboost
We recently traded our 2019 Sport for the 2023 ST and I must say that I am a little disappointed with Ford over the center screen and Sync 3 on such an expensive vehicle. My older F-150 and my brothers 2022 Edge, both have larger center screens and Sync 4 with wireless Carplay. The system also seems extremely slow compared to my F-150 and even slow compared to our old 2019. At first I thought there might be something wrong with ours, but after finding some posts online it sounds like it may just be the nature of the system. When we start the car it take about 30 seconds for the XM radio to act normally. Prior to that it ignores inputs, such as changing stations. I also feel like the instrument cluster display lacks customization. You have the large area in the center above the adaptive cruise spacing icons that isn't really used for anything.

Does anyone know why the Explorer ST which stickers over $60k and is one of their prime selling vehicles is being treated like the red headed step child when it comes to the infotainment system? Is there any hope of it being fixed with software?

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Nope, that has been one of the biggest complaints about the 20+ explorers. The 24's have an updated interior and a whole new infotainment system.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
If you dislike it so much why in TF did you buy the car? Sounds like you should have done your due diligence instead of letting new car fever make the decisions.

hbalek

Reactions
Knowing what I know about the 2024 I would've waited for all the aesthetic and quality improvements especially on the interior!

OP
K

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
If you dislike it so much why in TF did you buy the car? Sounds like you should have done your due diligence instead of letting new car fever make the decisions.
Because I buy them for the way they drive and the performance. The infotainment system isn't one of my top priorities.

OP
K

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Knowing what I know about the 2024 I would've waited for all the aesthetic and quality improvements especially on the interior!
We trade every 3 years, so I will be looking 2027s. ;) I am due to trade my F-150 for a 2024 model though.

OP
K

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
I poked around online and found that even though the Sync on the Explorer says there aren't any updated available, Ford listed one. It had Build 2200 on it and Ford listed a newer build, but I don't recall was it was. I did the update this morning though and the system is much snappier.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Because I buy them for the way they drive and the performance. The infotainment system isn't one of my top priorities.
Then why join a forum specifically to complain about something that isn’t a priority? Enjoy it for the reasons you bought it for and look past the other stuff.

hbalek

Reactions
I poked around online and found that even though the Sync on the Explorer says there aren't any updated available, Ford listed one. It had Build 2200 on it and Ford listed a newer build, but I don't recall was it was. I did the update this morning though and the system is much snappier.
I hope you didn't upgrade from 22000 to 22251! That's the recent update with all the problems. It will clog up your memory and you'll lose many functions. There are numerous discussions online about it. In fact those who know how to are downgrading to 22000 from 22251 because so many features get disabled and malfunction.

OP
K

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
I hope you didn't upgrade from 22000 to 22251! That's the recent update with all the problems. It will clog up your memory and you'll lose many functions. There are numerous discussions online about it. In fact those who know how to are downgrading to 22000 from 22251 because so many features get disabled and malfunction.
I just checked and indeed I did. The 22000 was extremely slow, but the 22251 is very snappy in comparison and seems to work great. Is it a problem that takes a while to present, like a memory leak or corruption? Hard to believe it could be as bad as 22000.

Last edited:
OP
K

KeithW

Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #11
Then why join a forum specifically to complain about something that isn’t a priority? Enjoy it for the reasons you bought it for and look past the other stuff.
I obviously did, but I still would like to understand the reasoning. When something seems illogical, I question it. I like to learn things, not just ignore things that don't make sense. I thought the point of forums like this was to share information about the item in question. If we all just drove the vehicles and didn't ask questions or share thoughts on them the forum would be pretty empty.

hbalek

Reactions
It will get clogged up the more you use it. Good luck! I wish I had my slow old version that did everything. The software flaw allows the rwdata folder to not get purged making it run out of necessary memory capacity followed by loss of settings, preferences and features every time you restart the system resets to almost default settings. It is extremely annoying! Don't ask questions, trust the science! Experts often get things wrong. BTW my history with Sync3.4 has had several instances of losing features with updates and then the next update fixes what they broke. 22251 is the worst case but a couple years ago Sirius XM Travelink features disappeared for months until the next update.

Last edited:

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
I just checked and indeed I did. The 22000 was extremely slow, but the 22251 is very snappy in comparison and seems to work great. Is it a problem that takes a while to present, like a memory leak or corruption? Hard to believe it could be as bad as 22000.
I've been on 22251 since Ford released it. Works fine with no issues. Chatted with Ford about about it and they said some people do have issues with it while others do not. And they are expecting to have a new update in Sept.

hbalek

Reactions
I've been on 22251 since Ford released it. Works fine with no issues. Chatted with Ford about about it and they said some people do have issues with it while others do not. And they are expecting to have a new update in Sept.
Mine started curing itself since last Wednesday. A lot of features returned and memory holds some settings.

Dale5403

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine started curing itself since last Wednesday. A lot of features returned and memory holds some settings.
You are the only one I've heard say that. Hope it continues for you.

hbalek

Reactions
You are the only one I've heard say that. Hope it continues for you.
Me too all I did was delete my old phone and add a new one after not driving for 10 days. Then a few soft resets.

voodothatido4u

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Same thing on my mine. New Phone and then some resets. Also had a trim piece around the wheel well come loose on a trip back from Killeen, Tx. this past week but it snapped back in but now I'll watch it. Things happen...

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Sounds like a valid question ?? LOL, but Unbroken , as usual makes a good point.. Seems like alot of people just like to bitch about thew ST and yea Ford was/ is lame with some of the stuff they did , so now you can take up the hobbie,of fixin g it how you want it , or dont buy it until it comes out how you want it !! a ton of people bitch about the B& O sound system.It does suck but I bet Unbroken doesnt bitch about his sound system...