Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

SwagSolo’s Star White Build

Reactions
Sup ya’ll. Been part of the community since picking this Star White Metallic up for my wife on Valentine’s Day. Love what everyone’s doing with their ST. I’ve learned a lot. Figured I’d get a build thread going to track the mods in a single place.

Will update frequently.

Complete so far

* 15% Lumar ceramic front window tint
* 15% Lumar ceramic windshield strip
* Front license plate delete (BumperPlugs)
* Slim/simple silicone rear plate frame
* Blacked out front and rear Etsy emblems
* K&N drop in filter
* Black/chrome horn logo
* Whipple FMIC
* ZFG 91 Tune
* AWR Racing Differential Stiffening Mount
* Custom Weathertech Mudflaps
* LED License plate lights
* UPR Catch Can, drain line, and pro series billet check valves
* Aluminum ST pedals
* Red carbon start button
* Auovo 37 piece dust mat kit (Gray)
* Redline tuning struts
* Ford Performance Decal for front sway bar
* ST decal on air box

List of definite mods

* Exhaust (Something cool coming soon)
* Reverse LED lights (when I get around to drilling out stripped twilight torch screw)
* LED Amber turn signal (Same rut as above)

Maybe’s

* Turbo smart BOV
* Downpipes (not convinced they’re worth the cost)
* H&R Springs (Wifey not a fan. Her truck so......we’ll see)
* Rear Swaybar (Something cool coming soon)
* Rear wiper delete
* Light Smoke Reverse portion of tails
* UPR oil drain valve
* Rear hitch cover
* Tons I’m not thinking of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #2
First weekend at home. Put in OE rubber mats in all three rows and tinted right away. 15% Lumar up front perfectly matched factory rears. Also, all windows look the same from the inside looking out.

Also, did front strip 15%

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Etsy front and rear emblems

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Front license plate delete. Was pissed there wasn’t an option to avoid having the mount in the first place. I’ve had many dealers keep it off the car. Anyway, BumperPlugs to the rescue! Was totally disgusted at paying $35 for these little things until they arrived and I saw the paint match/experienced hassle free install. Consider me a convert. Just ordered another pair for newest vehicle in stable.

Picked up generic flat black one from O’Reilly’s

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
K&N Air Filter

Been using these things for years. Has always been a no brainer for me given longevity and perceived performance improvement. I’ve been telling myself for years, motors always sound 1%+ more aggressive after the install. Recorded for shits and giggles.

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Whipple IC

Dropship from Whipple arrived 3 days after ordering

Used a pinch weld adapter to jack it up after reading about some bent welds

Front end tear down. Pretty standard fare. Big shout out to @UNBROKEN for sharing detailed PDF to compliment Whipple instructions and Fat Guy Builds video. Couple of changes for 2021 though (no front camera spray nozzle. Couple extra screws etc) but nothing major.

Mini me

Wifey kept asking questions so I figured she wanted to help. She was excited for the first hour or so lol

That’s more like it

Kept the louvers and shroud in place in case I want to yank out and trade in a couple of years.

Initially experienced a strange whine and laggy acceleration after install. Reinspected next morning and found the passenger side hose wasn’t flush against collar. Cinched up and perfect ever since. Dramatically improved throttle response and cold mornings/evenings are sooooo much fun

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Custom Weathertech mudflaps

Went with Vinyl decals after not being satisfied with plastidip stencil (botched pics below). Still sticking strong!

Wanted Plastdip to work but...

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Simple hitch cover while I awaited more elegant solutions.

This is the one I bought

for 2 inches Trailer Hitch Cover, Sturdy Rubber Receiver Tube Hitch Plug Tow Receiver Tube Plug Cap Fits to 2" Tow Hitch Receiver (fit 2" Ford Hitch Plug) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084ZJHG9...abc_VDAANFER0XRBTFGMY4S8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Can’t seem to get a response from @Brucecris around carbon examples for his hitch cover. 99% sure the solution is too steep but would love to see a pic to see if it’s possible to be swayed

Reactions
I’m here! Took a break from the internet after the beating I took yesterday. We don’t offer a full carbon fiber build. However our painter can lay carbon over the existing product. If you are looking for a carbon example and don’t need full carbon feel, you might do well by getting a completely plain version and then wrapping it.

The amount of money our guy is asking to finish it in hand laid carbon is +400. Yes. That’s what he wants.

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #10
I’m here! Took a break from the internet after the beating I took yesterday. We don’t offer a full carbon fiber build. However our painter can lay carbon over the existing product. If you are looking for a carbon example and don’t need full carbon feel, you might do well by getting a completely plain version and then wrapping it.

The amount of money our guy is asking to finish it in hand laid carbon is +400. Yes. That’s what he wants.
Hey! Thanks for getting back

I’d be interested in seeing the hand laid carbon example when someone orders if that’s possible. I’m intrigued. Thx!

Reactions
Hey! Thanks for getting back

I’d be interested in seeing the hand laid carbon example when someone orders if that’s possible. I’m intrigued. Thx!

For sure. Before then, I will ask the painter for a sample or some pictures of their other stuff. I’ll be in touch.

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #12
LED license plate upgrade

Ordered these. Plug and play solution. No resistors of Forscan necessary. Light is also oriented correctly as opposed to when changing bulbs in existing housings.

These are the ones I ordered.

Everbuilt LED License Plate Light Compatible For Ford Explorer Fiesta Fusion Escape MKZ Bright White LED 2011 to 2018 Ford Explorer/Fiesta 2013 to 2018 Ford Fusion/Escape 2015-2018 Lincoln MKC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QDFFLN...abc_Q78KNKT2VCW3DRG4MD3Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also had every intent of changing our turn signals and reverse lights but then this happened . Have to get around to drilling out. Already tried to slot with dremel wheel but no dice. Feel free to recommend extraction bits you’ve used in the past

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Reactions
I would not go downpipes unless you're willing to go full send with upgraded turbos. If something happens and you try to warranty, downpipes will severely hinder your chances of getting the claim accepted.

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I would not go downpipes unless you're willing to go full send with upgraded turbos. If something happens and you try to warranty, downpipes will severely hinder your chances of getting the claim accepted.
Duly noted. No intention of upgrading turbos. Most likely just going to go mid pipe back with TR&D.

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #17
Playing dress up

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #18
Snuck this on one day without telling the wife. She was like, “there’s something different about the truck but I can’t put my finger on it”

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #19
Picked up the Amazon ST pedals. Like everyone else, pleasantly surprised by quality. Bargain for sure. Spy the OBDLink MX+ in the port. Haven’t even used it beyond clicking thru the views. Need a crash course in Forscan.

OP
SwagSolo
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Was toying around with vanity plate ideas and found a cool license plate generator

https://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

Here’s a couple I mocked up just to see how they’d look