Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Suspension upgrades

Reactions
Unbroken, love the awesome upgrades...I'm definitely not in a financial position, nor do I have the skill for the work you have done. My questions are with regards to the lowering springs and rear sway bar, are they a tangible improvement in the handling? Do they void any of the warranties? The reason I ask is that the Steeda springs and rear sway bar are really calling me and seem to be an upgrade I can swing if the juice is worth the squeeze. Right now I am loving the way the ST drives but have heavily upgraded a BMW and the stock suspension was good but the Dinan suspension transformed it into another level of performance. The advice of the forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions
I can’t speak to the Steeda springs but I love the improved handling the H&Rs bring

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Did you just do springs and leave the stock rear sway bar? Did you have to adjust your headlights? Thanks for the reply

Reactions
Did you just do springs and leave the stock rear sway bar? Did you have to adjust your headlights? Thanks for the reply
Correct - I did springs only. I haven’t taken the time to adjust my headlights yet, but I read it’s not too hard to do

Reactions
Did the Steeda springs and bar. To date, best upgrade I've made IMHO. Did not lower as much as HR springs, and the bar is a worthy upgrade over stock. No alignment or headlight adjustment needed. Both Steeda and HR perform well, my assessment is go for the one that provides the ride height you're looking for, but include the bar. Once you compare the Steeda bar with stock, you'll understand. All of these comments are seat of the pants feel. I've had her loaded with 5 adults, luggage in the back and on top, and have had her with just me and a copilot on the Blueridge Parkwa, both cases the handling is greatly improved. And I like the look of being a little lower. Troll this forum, you'll find many opinions from good people on this subject. Enjoy

Reactions
I went with H&R springs with the Steeda sway bar. I can't speak to how transformative each mod made on their own because I had both installed at the same time. However, having modded past cars over many years, I can tell you the H&R springs make for a better ride than stock (IMO). This is what the ST ride should be from the factory. I've done springs first on some cars and came away disappointed over time, only to convert to a coil-over setup. Coil-overs would be the optimal setup, but none exist for the ST. With the H&R springs, I feel the ride is not harsh as one would expect, while nose dive and back end squat are now much more controlled. The sway bar you will feel when making turns. The car feels more planted in the turns with much less body roll. You can definitely push the ST more through sweeping turns with more control. As stated in the past, the differences between the H&R and Steeda springs are so minor, only the most OCD of us will see the height difference. I'm sure they perform just as well, as others have stated. I think springs and the sway are a must have on the ST... and any exhaust upgrade from stock. Anything else you do after that is just gravy!;)

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
while nose dive and back end squat are now much more controlled.
This is the first thing I noticed after installing my H&R springs. I was surprised how much of a difference there was in this.

OP
Z
Reactions
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for the input from all of you...will be on my list of first upgrades to do and will include the sway bar. Good to hear that both H&R and Steeda both seem to have good quality and a following of fans, sounds like I can't go wrong with either. Nice to be a part of the enthusiast crowd

lwlf13

Reactions
I’m very happy with the h&r springs and Steeda sway bar. I did the swaybar first and agree it was felt most in corners. The springs improved the planted feel in the corners and got rid of the floaty feeling at speed. I agree with the other comments made here.

I also have the bora spacers coming which should get installed early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NappyNick

Active Duty U.S. Navy
Reactions
So.... is the streeda sway bar and H&R springs issue fixed. You can run both with no rubbing.

Reactions
No issues here. I'm using the middle hole and received my sway bar in November.

lwlf13

Reactions
I spoke with someone at Steeda before my order and he informed me that they made a change to the swaybar to allow it to work with the H&K springs. I have no rubbing with this setup either.

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I dropped my ST off at Ford to have the Steeda springs installed and was told I needed special nuts or bolts and that I couldn’t use the stock ones. Is that true? I thought I just needed to order the springs and all the other hardware could be reused.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I dropped my ST off at Ford to have the Steeda springs installed and was told I needed special nuts or bolts and that I couldn’t use the stock ones. Is that true? I thought I just needed to order the springs and all the other hardware could be reused.

Some of the bolt are TTY and Ford won’t reuse them for legal reasons. The rest of the world reuses them.

Reactions
I went with H&R springs with the Steeda sway bar. I can't speak to how transformative each mod made on their own because I had both installed at the same time. However, having modded past cars over many years, I can tell you the H&R springs make for a better ride than stock (IMO). This is what the ST ride should be from the factory. I've done springs first on some cars and came away disappointed over time, only to convert to a coil-over setup. Coil-overs would be the optimal setup, but none exist for the ST. With the H&R springs, I feel the ride is not harsh as one would expect, while nose dive and back end squat are now much more controlled. The sway bar you will feel when making turns. The car feels more planted in the turns with much less body roll. You can definitely push the ST more through sweeping turns with more control. As stated in the past, the differences between the H&R and Steeda springs are so minor, only the most OCD of us will see the height difference. I'm sure they perform just as well, as others have stated. I think springs and the sway are a must have on the ST... and any exhaust upgrade from stock. Anything else you do after that is just gravy!;)
Where did you find the steeda sway bar?

Reactions
Do you feel that the sway bar is worth it if you are keeping the stock springs? Can you even use the sway bar with stock springs? Living in central Houston, the streets are terrible and need every inch possible, so I don't want to lower yet. (Plus high water sucks where I live, so every inch counts. not that i plan on driving thru high water)

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The sway bar is excellent with the stock springs. I would double check with Steeda first to make sure their revised design is compatible with the stock springs. I had the rear sway bar (original design) on for a couple of weeks before I had the Steeda springs. They were on the stiffest setting and the ride was composed and made a big difference in cornering. After I removed the stock springs, I noticed the tell-tale signs of contact on the stock springs, but again, that was the original rear sway bar design.

If your roads are rough, you may regret getting the rear sway bar as they will make imperfect roads even harsher.

Last edited:
Reactions
I'm a Steeda fan, but having lived in rhe Heights I know what you mean about Houston streets. Steeda only lower about an inch. I've had my bar set at medium and springs on for about 6 months and love it. Some streets in Charlotte aren't much better. I guess if you don't like the ride get a platinum.