Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sunoco 100 Octane Race Fuel

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer Platinum
Does anyone have experience with the Sunoco 100 octane race fuel in the Explorer? Is this something @ZFGracing has/could tune for? The E85 around here is mixed with 87 octane and tends to be around E70. Would E70 or even E50 be better than the 100 octane?

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
ZFG can definitely tune for it. Here's an old dyno run from Kruppa on 104 octane with the Pure 700 turbos. As to whether that's better than say e70- to get the same amount of HP you'd probably have to upgrade the injectors and pump.
1662598254474.png

OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Interesting. It seems I've read that those tuned with an E50 blend are getting around 550hp, so if my thinking is correct, with increased RPMs, an E70 blend with stock turbos would likely surpass the 100 octane, but perhaps not significantly. Though with 100 octane at $9/gal the E70 would be much more economical in the long run, even considering the additional cost of the HPFP and injectors, and likely produce more power. Higher flowing turbos would, of course, also help.
Please feel free to correct me if my thinking/theorizing is incorrect.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Increasing the rev limit is really only useful if you're going with big turbos. And by big, I mean larger than the Pure 700s illustrated above which (barring something I'm unaware of) appear to fall off precipitously after 6300 rpm.

The ethanol blends will always make more HP due to the higher energy content at the correct air-fuel mixture. But....you definitely need additional pump and injectors to deliver all that fuel. While the dyno chart above reflects 104 octane, it's completely reasonable to assume that with 93 and those same Pure turbos should result in 500 all-wheel lb/ft of torque- (per other 93 tune dynos) resulting in approximately 530 WHP.

What this means is that with the Pure turbos, you can probably get to 530 WHP goal on 93- no mixing, no additional injector or pump. If your goals are higher, THEN go to the higher ethanol blends and add the pump and injectors which would get you to approx 580 whp.

To utilize what I recommended with the higher rev limit strategy, it's clear you're going to have to have larger turbos than are available as bolt-ons- that's shown with Kruppa's later build with the Xona turbos resulting in 704 WHP. Although, there are certainly cheaper ways to do that than how he did it!

Last edited:
OP
PlatinumST
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Increasing the rev limit is really only useful if you're going with big turbos. And by big, I mean larger than the Pure 700s illustrated above which (barring something I'm unaware of) appear to fall off precipitously after 6300 rpm.

The ethanol blends will always make more HP due to the higher energy content at the correct air-fuel mixture. But....you definitely need additional pump and injectors to deliver all that fuel. While the dyno chart above reflects 104 octane, it's completely reasonable to assume that with 93 and those same Pure turbos should result in 500 all-wheel lb/ft of torque- (per other 93 tune dynos) resulting in approximately 530 WHP.

What this means is that with the Pure turbos, you can probably get to 530 WHP goal on 93- no mixing, no additional injector or pump. If your goals are higher, THEN go to the higher ethanol blends and add the pump and injectors which would get you to approx 580 whp.

To utilize what I recommended with the higher rev limit strategy, it's clear you're going to have to have larger turbos than are available as bolt-ons- that's shown with Kruppa's later build with the Xona turbos resulting in 704 WHP. Although, there are certainly cheaper ways to do that than how he did it!
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to respond.