Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Sun roof leak?

Reactions
Had an odd moment this weekend... Pulled the ST out of the driveway and get on the gas, water poured out of the center overhead console where the sunroof controls and head lamps are located...

Seal looks fine. Sun roof wasn’t open... didn’t have a really hard rain.... it was damp above the sun roof panel.

Very strange.

Anyone else experienced this?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Well that sucks. Definitely a leak somewhere.

Reactions
Possibly a drain plug is clogged had that issue on my vw Tiguan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJJMN

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I've already had the same thing happen and was in for service twice. Same issue only happens when parked in the rain with front having a downward slop. Sunroof is closed. The last time in they had the entire front windshield resealed. Now again today I've got water coming down from the Center Overhead console and my center console is soaked with water. 1 cup holder had 2 inches of water in it. Had to drive to work and every acceleration or turn had more water coming from the Overhead console. I've had this Explorer for 6 months and its been in the shop for this now 3 times. My big concern is long term effect of that water on each console. Nobody else have this issue? 2020 Explorer Platinum with 7,000 miles. And NO on coming from Sunroof, the tray was completely dry.

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I had water getting in near the back tailgate. Come to find out it was a plugged sunroof drain. Apparently the sunroof drain runs all the way back to the rear tailgate lid. Dealer corrected it.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
My St had the right rear Sunroof Drain hose misrouted/folded when installed and was leaking into the cab by the rear side window, filled the spare tire well. Until they fixed it, been fine since.

Reactions
My St had the right rear Sunroof Drain hose misrouted/folded when installed and was leaking into the cab by the rear side window, filled the spare tire well. Until they fixed it, been fine since.
I have had an issue with water soaking the headliner in my 2020 explorer. Drove through a heavy rain storm last month and experienced this for the first time. Hometown dealership checked to make sure nothing was clogging the drain area of sunroof, it was fine. Can you please share how this was diagnosed where you had it fixed? Did they have to get under the headliner, or how did they discover the folded hose?

Attachments

Reactions

Had this same issue. Water leaking at the rear portion of the third row passenger window at the panel next to the liftgate. Water reportedly came from the sunroof. Dealer fixed the leak.

Dgoebel57

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
I have had an issue with water soaking the headliner in my 2020 explorer. Drove through a heavy rain storm last month and experienced this for the first time. Hometown dealership checked to make sure nothing was clogging the drain area of sunroof, it was fine. Can you please share how this was diagnosed where you had it fixed? Did they have to get under the headliner, or how did they discover the folded hose?
Mine had no headliner wetting or damage, it was all down the inside of the back side window, over the switches back there, into the below deck storage and into the spare tire well. Dealer did have to open up the trim back in the corner.

Reactions
I had this issue with my 2014 Explorer Sport sun roof leaking. It affected a lot of electronics as the excess water travelled down to the electronics on the drivers side dash. My window washer and wipers would suddenly activate and not stop until out of washer fluid. Then the radio would only work intermittently. The roof controls and overhead lights would not work. I got worried that more serious electrical problems could happen.

Repeated efforts to clean out the drain with compressed air was only successful for a short time. I ended up trading it in for the 2020 St and made sure there was no sunroof. I noticed other sunroof leak complaints for the past series of Explorers on other Explorer forums.