Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Summer or winter tires to swap with all-seasons?

Hoofer11

Reactions
My 2021 ST should arrive in December. Can’t wait! Thinking of buying an additional set of tires as part of the new vehicle purchase. My Explorer will have street pack, with all season 21” tires. I live in Philadelphia and we don’t tend to get a lot of snow. I work at home and rarely need to drive in bad weather. Figure the all-seasons should be fine for mild winter driving. For this reason, I am considering the purchase of summer tires, which should dial up the handling/performance, and using the all seasons from late fall to early spring. Seems like buying winter tires would not be necessary. Any thoughts? Any specifics on tire recommendations would be great too. Thanks for any advice/input!

Roots

Reactions
Scorpions that come on the 21 mags are more than sufficient for summer. The def are not all season. Do not use in snow. Excellent dry grip and excellent in rain, in my experience. I would not change 21 inch rubber twice a year. Risk damaging/scratching mags each time and not sure the benefit is worth it, plus that isn't free! I have separate set for winter, (20 inch with blizzaks) just change bolts and avoid mounting and then re-mounting (and balance) the rubber tires. Just my opinion from someone who change tires twice a year X multiple cars!!! Grrrrrr!!!!

Sean R.

Reactions
The scorpions that come on the 21s are all seasons, and do work well in most weather (light snow is OK, heavy not so much) we had them on one of our lincolns and they worked well.. Summer tires suck in cold weather. Once the Temps get below 45 tire makers say don't use our summer tires as the rubber never get to temp and the tires ride hard, decreaseing stick and wearing out the tire faster.

wcoyne

Reactions
I am reading this after searching to see others experience with their ST in the snow.

I had the same tires on the 2016 SRT Grand Cherokee and had no issues at all but the Explorer isn't a HEEP so I am curious. I don't see many options for these in the stock size for winter

Last edited:

PhilST

Reactions
I looked for snow tires for the 21" wheels as well and it did not result in much. You can just about get a cheaper set of 20" wheels and winter tires new for the same price for 21" snow tires for stock wheels.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I looked for snow tires for the 21" wheels as well and it did not result in much. You can just about get a cheaper set of 20" wheels and winter tires new for the same price for 21" snow tires for stock wheels.
A million times this. Swapping only tires for winter and back to the scorpions in spring is all types of stupid. Just get a cheap set of 18s/19s/20s, mount up some blizzaks and call it a day.