Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stupid question, do we have GDI engines?

Reactions
I can't find anything that says they are. So is regular fuel injector cleaner ok in our engines?

Reactions
Most new cars today use direct injection as does the Explorer ST. From what I've read fuel additives are a waste of money for DI motors.

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I've read as well. DI motors have the carbon buildup problem, and I'd rather address it sooner rather than later, so just researching solutions.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Yeah, that's what I've read as well. DI motors have the carbon buildup problem, and I'd rather address it sooner rather than later, so just researching solutions.
the solution is the various catch cans that are available for direct injected engines. the carbon buildup comes from oil vapor that is recirculated back into the intake. a catch can condenses that oil vapor and deposits it somewhere else.

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
Man what an annoying solution lol. I'm all for bolt ons for performance (Mainly on my sports car, not my dadmobile), but to fix a problem from a crappy engine design that I have to constantly baby sit kind of pisses me off. Valvoline Modern Engine full synthetic says it takes care of the problem, and I do like Valvoline, but can the claim be backed up? lol

Reactions
It is a function of the engine design, not really a crappy design. DI engines have been around for a while now if you don't like the latest versions go research the VW engines from 10 years ago.

Other than a catch can there are cleaners you can use and some shops offer services to take off the intake and clean the valves with various types of media like walnut husks.

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
What are the cleaners you can use? Are they safe? I guess I'll probably begrudgingly go the catch can route as well. Is UPR the best one?

Reactions
What are the cleaners you can use? Are they safe? I guess I'll probably begrudgingly go the catch can route as well. Is UPR the best one?
This is what I used on my Jaguar XFR that was DI, a cleaner through the intake or taking the intake off is the only way to get the valves clean on a DI engine. If the dealer recommends the Vmax clean or other fuel additives slap them upside the head. My parents have been doing the Vmax treatment for years in their SHO and I always tell them it is doing nothing for the valves.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05319-In...njection+engine+cleaner&qid=1599935157&sr=8-2

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
Nice, thanks! Yeah I know fuel additives on these engines don't even touch the valves so, pointless. Would I just take out my air filter and spray it in or do I have to spray directly into like the throttle body? How much do you spray?

Reactions
Nice, thanks! Yeah I know fuel additives on these engines don't even touch the valves so, pointless. Would I just take out my air filter and spray it in or do I have to spray directly into like the throttle body? How much do you spray?
Directions are on the can, easiest way is to find a vacuum hose near the throttle body. Without two people it is almost impossible, one of the Amazon reviewers built an interesting contraption to spray the cleaner in.

Do not spray before the maf sensor.

Reactions
Has it been confirmed that these engines are not dual injection like some GDI engines are now - in that they have the direct injectors into the combustion chamber, but also that they have port injectors as well? Are we direct only?

LokiWolf

Reactions
No Ford 3.0L EB has dual injectors. No port injectors, just direct.

PS GDI stands for Gas Direct Injection, which describes pretty much most modern smaller gas motors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
I wish the 3.0 had dual injection like the Raptor, I believe the Expedition and Navigator also have dual injection.

LokiWolf

Reactions
I wish the 3.0 had dual injection like the Raptor, I believe the Expedition and Navigator also have dual injection.
Yes, any Ford equipped with the 2nd Gen 3.5 EB has both port and direct injectors...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions
Man what an annoying solution lol. I'm all for bolt ons for performance (Mainly on my sports car, not my dadmobile), but to fix a problem from a crappy engine design that I have to constantly baby sit kind of pisses me off. Valvoline Modern Engine full synthetic says it takes care of the problem, and I do like Valvoline, but can the claim be backed up? lol
I run Valvoline full synthetic, and I have a UPR catch can. After 1500 miles, I had about an ounce or two of oil and gas... ymmv...

OP
Zermus
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I run Valvoline full synthetic, and I have a UPR catch can. After 1500 miles, I had about an ounce or two of oil and gas... ymmv...
Have you tried the Modern Engine variant? It's more expensive, but just wondering if it's any better. I'll probably be getting that UPR catch can as well.