Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Strut tower brace

Reactions
Has anyone found an aftermarket strut tower brace that looks better than the OEM brace? I'm sure the OEM is plenty strong enough for the highway, so this would be mostly for looks.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Nothing available yet but FennFab has a prototype that looks pretty nice. Waiting to see if he goes into production with them.

OP
Baseballbum
Reactions
Thread Starter #3
I dressed mine up a bit with a sticker I found on Amazon and an ST badge on the air box from Ford.

IMG_9311.jpeg

Last edited:

Blue Beast

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Law Enforcement
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
I did the same thing on my ST. It really dresses up the engine compartment.

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Nothing available yet but FennFab has a prototype that looks pretty nice. Waiting to see if he goes into production with them.
I saw a teaser pic on his IG. Definitely want to upgrade from the stock crap.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
*SIGH* Bless your heart. I've heard ignorance is bliss...
Explain why then, expert. I look forward to tearing your argument to shreds.

Reactions
I did read that if you over oil your filter it could cause issues with you MAF sensor. Personally I never got around to cleaning my oil filter as frequently as I should have so I just went back to the paper filters.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I did read that if you over oil your filter it could cause issues with you MAF sensor. Personally I never got around to cleaning my oil filter as frequently as I should have so I just went back to the paper filters.
There is no MAF sensor and when those cars did have issues like that it was user error, not the filters fault.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Explain why then, expert. I look forward to tearing your argument to shreds.
This is just a fairly recent example you can relate to as a relative newb to such things. I have decades of direct experience.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
There is no MAF sensor and when those cars did have issues like that it was user error, not the filters fault.
Whoa,whoa, whoa... You post a lot and I respect your posts, and you're right, the explorer doesn't use a MAF sensor, but you have to remember that not all hot-wire style MAF sensors are created equal. Earlier models did not have the "burn off" shutdown feature that later models had which did cause a lot of MAF failures. And even those that did weren't always successful. Sure, some people over oiled those filters but to say it was "user error" ....end of discussion isn't right. As an engineer, would I use an oiled filter on a direct injected engine? No, but if someone shows me some "after filter" pressure differences that shows that some particular oiled filter is far, far superior to a dry filter, maybe. For a stock vehicle, it's not going to make any appreciable difference. In a highly modified vehicle, maybe a few HP. But that's why in a modified vehicle you're going to look to maximize surface area with an aftermarket intake.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
This is just a fairly recent example you can relate to as a relative newb to such things. I have decades of direct experience.

Now try without using Google. You’re not the only one with direct experience. And at least find a test with a quality filter. The whole world knows K&N is almost bottom of the barrel...right above Spectre I’d guess.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Whoa,whoa, whoa... You post a lot and I respect your posts, and you're right, the explorer doesn't use a MAF sensor, but you have to remember that not all hot-wire style MAF sensors are created equal. Earlier models did not have the "burn off" shutdown feature that later models had which did cause a lot of MAF failures. And even those that did weren't always successful. Sure, some people over oiled those filters but to say it was "user error" ....end of discussion isn't right. As an engineer, would I use an oiled filter on a direct injected engine? No, but if someone shows me some "after filter" pressure differences that shows that some particular oiled filter is far, far superior to a dry filter, maybe. For a stock vehicle, it's not going to make any appreciable difference. In a highly modified vehicle, maybe a few HP. But that's why in a modified vehicle you're going to look to maximize surface area with an aftermarket intake.
I’d put an Afe Pg7 up against any dry filter on the market. I’ve used them on 4 figure HP cars that showed no difference on a dyno with or without a filter and would still pass a white glove test.

FORZDA3

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST
Now try without using Google. You’re not the only one with direct experience.
That's your "tearing your argument to shreds"? I see you have lots of posts here, along with a "build" thread that consists of 99% wasted effort for bling. How quick is your ST in a straight line? Time slips? How many SCCA autocross trophies do you have? Just because you post a lot and do a whole lot of useless crap to a vehicle does NOT make you some kind of "expert". It makes you a forum tool.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That's your "tearing your argument to shreds"? I see you have lots of posts here, along with a "build" thread that consists of 99% wasted effort for bling. How quick is your ST in a straight line? Time slips? How many SCCA autocross trophies do you have? Just because you post a lot and do a whole lot of useless crap to a vehicle does NOT make you some kind of "expert". It makes you a forum tool.
I need a resume now? My ST runs 11’s at 117. I don’t have any autocross trophy’s but I do have a pile of them from some rather fast stuff including one of 5 awards for being one of the first cars into the 3’s in the 1/8 on a 10.5 tire. I spent over a decade running various Pro Mod circuits and have spent over 35 years building cars and trucks as a hobby and professionally. And just because you Google a video that used a bottom of the shelf oiled filter doesn’t make you an expert...aside from looking up shit on the internet. You didn’t even put up an argument to tear down.
Anything else you wanna insult to make yourself look even more like a douchebag? Maybe take a shot at my wife and kids? My dogs? Whatever it is that makes you feel like a big man?

Last edited:

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
@FORZDA3
You have made what....11 posts so far and most of them have been critical of others or "I know it all" posts. Is this really the way you want to start on this site? I believe you probably have valid arguments, but perhaps you could phrase things in a slightly more positive way?

Reactions
@FORZDA3
You have made what....11 posts so far and most of them have been critical of others or "I know it all" posts. Is this really the way you want to start on this site? I believe you probably have valid arguments, but perhaps you could phrase things in a slightly more positive way?
His other posts are just as bad. They are just someone who has a lot of time on their hands.