Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Strange sound from front when coming to a stop.

Reactions
After some of the digging and testing i've done on the car i think it's something with the hub/bearing assembly or the inner CV joint on the front axle. Interestingly enough the aviator which i havent heard people complain about this issue has different part numbers for the front axles

Turd99

Reactions
After some of the digging and testing i've done on the car i think it's something with the hub/bearing assembly or the inner CV joint on the front axle. Interestingly enough the aviator which i havent heard people complain about this issue has different part numbers for the front axles
I purchased a 2020 Aviator and I too hear a suspension noise coming from the driver's side. I'm headed to the dealership today.

MOM2KJD

Reactions
Nope, did not get it back yet. 10+ weeks at the dealership and 2 failed repairs. They have no idea where the noise is coming from. Per the dealership, Ford engineer has been out to look and left them with an open checkbook to do whatever they need to do. This is what I'm hearing from the dealership so not sure how true any of this is. I've filed my Lemon Law paperwork with the TX DMV and they've sent Ford and the Dealership notice. Ford Customer Service communications suck as well. If you miss their call, they call back in a week and never answer the phone. Needless to say I am done with this vehicle and Ford.
What was the outcome? I had the thud feeling noise under feet of drivers side since I got mine. They “can’t feel it or hear it”. I just had it at the shop with a brake fault warning said my e brake wasn’t fully disengage. Since I got it back the noise and thud it worse.

MOM2KJD

Reactions
I noticed that when I am coming to a stop there is a popping sound, that sounds like a metal to metal contact, or close to what a failed bushing sounds like. It is faint, but sounds unnatural. Dealer states that they can not hear any noise, and have it on a lift looking at it. It only happens when coming to a stop, and occasionally when you take off. Might have to go up there, and drive with the technician. Any one else hear this sound?
Sep 15, 2020

After some of the digging and testing i've done on the car i think it's something with the hub/bearing assembly or the inner CV joint on the front Sep 15, 202

I noticed that when I am coming to a stop there is a popping sound, that sounds like a metal to metal contact, or close to what a failed bushing sounds like. It is faint, but sounds unnatural. Dealer states that they can not hear any noise, and have it on a lift looking at it. It only happens when coming to a stop, and occasionally when you take off. Might have to go up there, and drive with the technician. Any one else hear this sound?
What was the outcome? I had the thud feeling noise under feet of drivers side since I got mine. They “can’t feel it or hear it”. I just had it at the shop with a brake fault warning said my e brake wasn’t fully disengage. Since I got it back the noise and thud it worse.

Fujimo

Reactions
I have the same thud, clunking sloshing sound on my late build 2020. This is noticeable when the fuel tank is over 1/2 tank. I was wondering if anyone had success getting this issue resolved? Dealer states Ford is aware of the issue but no fix. However my brother has a 21’ and was built about 2 weeks after mine and his doesn’t make the same noise. So obviously I’m thinking something is not right...

Reactions
I too have these noises in my 2021 ST. Clunking when coming to a stop after first starting to drive is really noticeable. I also get rattling / knocking in the front suspension over bumpy uneven surfaces at slow speeds (25 kph). Dealer listened to the suspension noise and agreed it was there, but found it in other Explorers on the lot and said it was normal. Needless to say i'm not impressed.

Yuppers

Reactions
I had the exact same issue with my 21 explorer st. Took it to the dealer who contacted some of his colleagues.

Problem ended up being a design flaw. The sound you are most likely hearing is the gasoline sloshing around and hitting the front of the gas tank which is located directly below the driver seat and footwell.

The problem is more pronounced with 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas. Not so much with full or very little gas in the tank.

There is no fix for it... Just a design flaw.

May be the case for some of you. Hope this helps.

mezalu

Reactions
I had the exact same issue with my 21 explorer st. Took it to the dealer who contacted some of his colleagues.

Problem ended up being a design flaw. The sound you are most likely hearing is the gasoline sloshing around and hitting the front of the gas tank which is located directly below the driver seat and footwell.

The problem is more pronounced with 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas. Not so much with full or very little gas in the tank.

There is no fix for it... Just a design flaw.

May be the case for some of you. Hope this helps.
Can anyone else confirm this? I just purchased my ST 3 days ago and this thumping sound is really starting to drive me up the wall. Had I know this was a possible common issue I probably wouldn’t have bought it (shame on me for not doing more research). The ST is awesome but I can’t help but fixate on the thumping sound while driving. I’m in the 1/2 - 3/4 tank range right now. I’m praying the sound goes away once it gets near empty.

ShawnaBee

Active Duty U.S. Army
Reactions
Can anyone else confirm this? I just purchased my ST 3 days ago and this thumping sound is really starting to drive me up the wall. Had I know this was a possible common issue I probably wouldn’t have bought it (shame on me for not doing more research). The ST is awesome but I can’t help but fixate on the thumping sound while driving. I’m in the 1/2 - 3/4 tank range right now. I’m praying the sound goes away once it gets near empty.
I have a '21ST and I'm hearing the same thing. Its especially annoying when in stop and go traffic... It almost sounds like a combination of something clunking in my brakes but also the sloshing of the gas tank under my feet as the driver. I think it is just the gas tank though, but sounds super annoying and cheap. Not sure how safe it is to have gasoline sloshing so violently under my feet...

Last edited:
Reactions
My '21 St was built January '21 and when I first started driving it in Feb. I hear this liquid sloshing noise as well going from side to side underneath my seat.
I went to the dealer to inquire and was told it is the braking mechanism and things would settle and to simply turn up the radio to avoid hearing it....
It continued for a few months after the visit and stopped (or at least hasn't been as noticeable since).
It definitely sounded like a liquid substance sloshing around and not a brake system lol.

mezalu

Reactions
The thumping noise I was hearing was actually due to a warped rotor. My ST spent a few days at the dealer, they turned them all and thankfully the noise is gone. I heard this thumping when I test drove it right before I bought it. I thought it was due to the roadway construction near the dealership but obviously I was wrong. I'm guessing quality control missed this bad rotor at the factory, oh well, at least the warranty covered it.

I do hear the sloshing sound Yuppers was referring to but only from outside the vehicle and never from within the cabin. I heard it when I installed my wheel locks/tightened the lug nuts as the vehicle moves a little when tightening them and this is enough to make the sloshing sound (I was near 3/4 tank at the time). It's most definitely fuel in the fuel tank sloshing around with movement and not part of the brake system. Gone are the days when they just threw the fuel tank to the rear of the car, a few extra baffles could have probably prevented this issue but I'm sure the bean counters said naw.