Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stock Tire Replacement

Reactions
Many of us either have replaced our stock tires or are about to, I'm in the first group. This thread is for those who have stock 275-45-21 tires. Looking for AS comments over winter/summer specialty tires. Reason for this size limit is there are not too many options. Some of you have added wheels to allow bigger or smaller than stock, others have STs without the street package and run 20" wheels which have considerablely more options. I wanted to go with the Yokohama Geolander X-CV. Due to availability I ended up with Viredestein Quatrack Pro. Hopefully we'll get some real world ST feedback over someone with a Subaru Forester commenting on the Tirerack website

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Many of us either have replaced our stock tires or are about to, I'm in the first group. This thread is for those who have stock 275-45-21 tires. Looking for AS comments over winter/summer specialty tires. Reason for this size limit is there are not too many options. Some of you have added wheels to allow bigger or smaller than stock, others have STs without the street package and run 20" wheels which have considerablely more options. I wanted to go with the Yokohama Geolander X-CV. Due to availability I ended up with Viredestein Quatrack Pro. Hopefully we'll get some real world ST feedback over someone with a Subaru Forester commenting on the Tirerack website
I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They truly are the best A/S Performance, and we have them on our 662 HP GT500, and it puts power down amazing.

Nhdataguy

Reactions
I got 40k on the oem Pirelli's, yes they are down to wear bars but I do 32K a year and alot of Northern NE highway driving. The A/S had no issues pulling the Sled trailer (3K) to the parking lot even in 4-6" snow, I plan on trading it back in when the next set is done, any other options for size , Yes am on street pack, so not a lot of options ... Anybody else find another size that works? Quiet Highway is important as do a 3 hour trip weekly ...
Also looked at
DEFENDER LTX M/S - SIZE: 275/50R21 about the same price, but always had LTX on the trucks ... Anybody run these?

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
I got 40k on the oem Pirelli's, yes they are down to wear bars but I do 32K a year and alot of Northern NE highway driving. The A/S had no issues pulling the Sled trailer (3K) to the parking lot even in 4-6" snow, I plan on trading it back in when the next set is done, any other options for size , Yes am on street pack, so not a lot of options ... Anybody else find another size that works? Quiet Highway is important as do a 3 hour trip weekly ...
Also looked at
DEFENDER LTX M/S - SIZE: 275/50R21 about the same price, but always had LTX on the trucks ... Anybody run these?
MS means mud and all season tires. Not snow or performance.

Nhdataguy

Reactions
I'm ok with that, Don't really need performance, The Pirelli Zero's were fine, rarely take them up to H rated anyways , usually 85-95 NE free way speeds...
I have other vehicles for top speed ... It would help to have a little more aggressive anyways, I used to put DMV2 on the Audi Q7

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
MS means Mud and Snow for All Season Tires. It means they meet Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) guidelines for Mud and Snow.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
Also looked at
Up and back to D.C. on the new Viredesteins, handle much better than the OEM Pirelli's but not as quiet. Not bad, but notice a little more road noise. Milked 45k out of the Pirellis. Biggest improvement is the truck doesn't dart around on uneven pavement.