Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Stock 20" Width?

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST, Silver Spruce Metalic
I ran a search and everything I read on here says the stock 20" rims are 8.5" wide. But, I was just at a shop looking at tires and the guy looked it up and says they are 9". I told him they were 8.5" so we go outside and measure them and he shows me 9" on the tape measure. But that's outside edge to outside edge! Aren't rims supposed to be measured from inside to inside? I'm looking to put some 285/50R20 on my stock 20" rims but someone said they were too wide. This guy says they will work just fine and that a half inch wouldn't matter anyway. I'd like to hear what some more of y'all have to say.

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I ran a search and everything I read on here says the stock 20" rims are 8.5" wide. But, I was just at a shop looking at tires and the guy looked it up and says they are 9". I told him they were 8.5" so we go outside and measure them and he shows me 9" on the tape measure. But that's outside edge to outside edge! Aren't rims supposed to be measured from inside to inside? I'm looking to put some 285/50R20 on my stock 20" rims but someone said they were too wide. This guy says they will work just fine and that a half inch wouldn't matter anyway. I'd like to hear what some more of y'all have to say.
Try checking the door jam info plate.

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
They are definately 8.5" but will the 285's fit ok? 275's are so expensive!

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 Explorer ST
I don't know, but a few years ago I let a sales person talk me into buying "Comparable" sized tires for my F150 and I regretted it, I should have stuck with the OEM sized tires for the OEM rims.

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Aren't rims supposed to be measured from inside to inside?
Yes they are, they taught us that in auto shop in high school 40 years ago. Find another tire shop because this guy either doesn't know or he doesn't care. Either way he doesn't deserve your business, find someone else.

Go on tire rack and after you pick a size and tire model, look at the specs for that tire in that size, they are straight from the manufacturer and list a min/max/nominal wheel width. If an 8.5 wheel doesn't fall within the min/max range, pick a different size and/or tire.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
As said by myself and others, please don't go wider than the 275 on the stock rim.

Reactions
As said by myself and others, please don't go wider than the 275 on the stock rim.
The tire size calculator site does provide information on widths. It says a 285/50R20 and 285/55R20 can go on an 8" to 10" rim, so I think 285 is okay. I would confirm with the literature of whatever brand you choose that it is okay too, but I think you are okay to use it size wise.

Attachments

OP
BrooseDaMoose
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Ok, thanks for the information. I did read your reply in my other post about wider tires but after talking to this guy today, I wasn’t sure. Obviously he just wanted to sell me tires. I figured people on here would know for sure having probably been down this road already. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions
The tire size calculator site does provide information on widths. It says a 285/50R20 and 285/55R20 can go on an 8" to 10" rim, so I think 285 is okay. I would confirm with the literature of whatever brand you choose that it is okay too, but I think you are okay to use it size wise.
It looks like a 295/50R20 can also fit on an 8.5" rim. I am not endorsing it will work with an ST, but should be safe to mount.