Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steering Wheel Carbon Trim Cover

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST

Blackssr

Reactions
For those of us too cheap to shell out for a CarbonTastic Wheel... found a option thats about $1400 cheaper. ;-) For $40 it might just be worth the experiment. I'm trying to find a pattern that matches the interior carbon trim a little better though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fib...rim-For-Ford-Explorer-2020-2021-/392908739027
I was just looking at that last evening. My only problem with it is applied with double-sided tape and won't lie totally flush. The same with the entire kit in your second post. back in the day I bought the Walnut trim kit for my 84 Corvette and it was applied with double-sided tape also and it always had that eighth of an inch gap which drove me insane.

Blackssr

Reactions
Actually I got to admit looking at this kit again it is pretty freaking cool.I wish Amazon sold them so I can get it tomorrow and try it. I can't tell how thick his 3m tape is. I know they go down to a 1/32" , hopefully that is what he uses.

Blackssr

Reactions
For those of us too cheap to shell out for a CarbonTastic Wheel... found a option thats about $1400 cheaper. ;-) For $40 it might just be worth the experiment. I'm trying to find a pattern that matches the interior carbon trim a little better though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fib...rim-For-Ford-Explorer-2020-2021-/392908739027
I had to try it... LOL... I offered the seller $ 20.00 via message and he accepted. 3-4 weeks we shall see if it is junk or not. I chickened out of ordering the full kit for fear it is a POS. $20.00 is not much of a gamble. $ 150.00 I would be pissed if it sucks.
Car Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Protector Cover Trim For Ford Explorer 2020 2021 | eBay

Last edited:
OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #6
hahahahaha.... awesome. definitely post a ton of pics when it shows up. im really curious to see how badly it clashes with the existing carbon trim in these trucks. why Ford chose to only have a single carbon inlay is beyond my comprehension. its a beautiful pattern, i will give it that, but c'mon... It has me considering wrapping it in "forged carbon" vinyl wrap so i can play matchy matchy with some other bits.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Found the post ... ordered and received.... fake but not bad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackssr

Reactions
Found the post ... ordered and received.... fake but not bad lol

How does it look installed? Does it lay flat even with the tape or does the gap show?

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
How does it look installed? Does it lay flat even with the tape or does the gap show?
I havent installed them yet. But so run flush against the door handles nicely. Waiting for all the pieces to show up. They are rolled at the ends to help

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #10
I havent installed them yet. But so run flush against the door handles nicely. Waiting for all the pieces to show up. They are rolled at the ends to help

How close is the pattern to your CarbonTastic wheel pattern? Does it clash with the stock dash piece?

Blackssr

Reactions
How close is the pattern to your CarbonTastic wheel pattern? Does it clash with the stock dash piece?
I think he needs to hurry up and install the damn thing and take pictures for us... hahaha...

Blackssr

Reactions

The Man child In me installs my stuff before I even finish taking it out of the damn box..

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #13
I think he needs to hurry up and install the damn thing and take pictures for us... hahaha...
for real. i've been talking to my vinyl guy though about wrapping these pieces instead of using these overlays--i think my decision is going to come down to how these look installed.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
Doesn’t match the weave of my steering wheel mostly because the real deal is wrapped around the wheel and shows the stretching . These are flat pieces but I think looks better than the other stock “carbon”. I’ll take pics tomorrow showing the difference. I ordered the those as well and center console.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
The Man child In me installs my stuff before I even finish taking it out of the damn box..
Lol I’ve taking a break off the explorer now that I got a 2020 2.7 eco F150. Playing with that now

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
for real. i've been talking to my vinyl guy though about wrapping these pieces instead of using these overlays--i think my decision is going to come down to how these look installed.
Those pieces are still in shipped status :/

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #17
Those pieces are still in shipped status :/

you still owe us pics of the hood in the sunlight. i think im going to copy you and wrap my hood, side view mirror caps, "stock" carbon trim, and center console in forged carbon.

Nbk4t5e

Reactions
you still owe us pics of the hood in the sunlight. i think im going to copy you and wrap my hood, side view mirror caps, "stock" carbon trim, and center console in forged carbon.
I will tomorrow .. it’s hard to wrap tho. 5mm thick

Blackssr

Reactions
I can do that it's not difficult.. but to be honest I'm not even going to notice the difference in the patterns. It is so freaking dark in that car with the black interior..

OP
Z

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
Thread Starter #20
I will tomorrow .. it’s hard to wrap tho. 5mm thick

yeah, i was worried about that. my installer wanted to look at the truck before saying if it was doable.