Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steering Question

Reactions
Started a new thread so not to hijack our fellow member with steering failure. My issue is more of an annoyance. First off my daily driver is a 08 F150 with 220K miles. My issue with the ST is the stiffness of the steering. No problem on the twisties, but annoying on the Interstate. I have the lane centering turned off. As I drive and make typical corrections on the highway, the steering feels hard and the corrections result in a twitch or jerking feeling. Not a smooth response to the steering input. Wondering if there is an adjustment that can be done at the dealership. Is this normal and something you get used to?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
My steering is not what I would call stiff. Not even in Sport mode. I would hit the dealer if I were you.

Kirk ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Started a new thread so not to hijack our fellow member with steering failure. My issue is more of an annoyance. First off my daily driver is a 08 F150 with 220K miles. My issue with the ST is the stiffness of the steering. No problem on the twisties, but annoying on the Interstate. I have the lane centering turned off. As I drive and make typical corrections on the highway, the steering feels hard and the corrections result in a twitch or jerking feeling. Not a smooth response to the steering input. Wondering if there is an adjustment that can be done at the dealership. Is this normal and something you get used to?
I'll try to pay more attention to this, but I've found it to be just the opposite. I think it feels great in all conditions. The smaller ST steering wheel will feel a lot different than the daily driver you've got. Maybe it's just a function of a smaller radius? hope it's alright in the end.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Thank you for the responses. I've got a service apt coming up, I'll add that to the list. Much appreciated. I'll let you know what I find out

Wmvc15

U.S. Marine Veteran
Reactions
Thank you for the responses. I've got a service apt coming up, I'll add that to the list. Much appreciated. I'll let you know what I find out
hey - did the dealer ever find anything? I have a similar issue and have had mine to two different dealers and they can’t replicate the issue.

OP
M
Reactions
Thread Starter #6
Got the same response from dealer as well. Talked to some people and they equated driving the truck then driving the ST as two different animals. Truck steering wheel is much larger than the ST. Steering feel/gearing completely different. Sold the old truck and now drive the ST daily. Either I've gotten used to it or after a few 1000s of miles of breaking I'm not having any issues. The twitching feeling is still a thing but maybe just a much more precise steering on the ST overall