Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steering off Center!?! Multiple Wheel Alignments CAN'T Correct!

Sooliman

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST 401A Black on Black
New owner of a 22' ST - Black on Black. Love it...so far. I have under 1200 miles as of today.
I took delivery of it unprepped and dirty, got it right to paint correction and had it ceramic coated. Also had the front windows ceramic tinted 50%. It's perfect.

Here's the problem:
I've been back to the dealer 3 times for the same issue - wheel alignment.
When I hold the wheel straight - the truck tracks to the left - toward oncoming traffic. It is an insane pulling? No. Is it bothersome and very noticeable, absolutely! Do I have to hold the wheel a few degrees to the right to drive straight....yes. It's driving me batty.

1st time - the dealer put it on the alignment machine and 'made some minor tweaks' - I waited for truck, left and in a minute could tell there was literally zero improvement. I was mildly annoyed, but called them and said it needs to come back.
2nd time - the dealer put a 'master technician' on the machine, 'made some corrective action' - I left the truck for half-a-day, and the tech told me 'it was a little off'. I left the dealer, and again in minutes knew it wasn't at all resolved and called them right back.
3rd time (today) - I requested the service manager on duty to do a ride-along. He first gave me the blah, blah how these big tires and the imperfect roads make the truck steer a little all-over the place and that highways are domed to sheet water, etc. Yeah Bud, I've owned vehicles for nearly 30 years....
Politely, I promptly asked him (on a perfectly flat, straight, nicely paved two-lane road) to put both hands on the wheel and hold the wheel straight.
His tune changed right instantly......He quickly commented, 'oh....oh....oh yeah, that's definitely off'. Yeah, no sh** Pal!
Two hours later with another 'master technician', and they can't resolve the problem. Today's excuse was maybe the machine could be out of calibration. Come on.....

This is a wheel alignment (or a steering wheel position issue), not rocket science and redeveloping the internal combustion engine we're talking about.
What would you guys do??? Do I stop being polite? Do I formally open a case with Ford? They want me to leave the truck for a 'few days' next week after the July 4th holiday. Really???
I'm losing patience. Looking for advice, thanks! Even more comical is as I'm leaving today them telling me that I'm going to get a survey and they need five stars all around......

Reactions
This happened with my F150 once at Firestone and it ended up being that they forgot to reset the steering wheel sensor after the alignment (in their words.) I had to bring it in three times as well.

hbalek

Reactions
I use the lane-centering and lane-keeping at all times so I've grown oblivious to it most of the time. Mine often in intelligent cruise and lane-centering will favor the left side of the lane more than the center but most of the time I don't even notice anymore. This is one of many little flaws that annoy me after nearly 3 years and 30K miles of driving it.

PhuckPhace

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
They should be test driving it after each alignment to verify it drives straight before giving the car back to you. Do you have the printout of the alignment?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Mine is the same way but it probably doesnt bother me to that extent.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Same. Went back three times. Last and final day had the manager test drive and put another technician on it and it was finally corrected.

Reactions
Try rotating the tires. I highly doubt that the alignment wasn’t done right that many times, unless of course their alignment rack is off. That would mean one of the racks at the Ford assembly line is off the same way?? Highly doubtful. Tire pull is not uncommon due to defective tires. Rotating them will tell you immediately. I’m surprised no one at the service center suggested that to you.

OP
S

Sooliman

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST 401A Black on Black
Thread Starter #8
Try rotating the tires. I highly doubt that the alignment wasn’t done right that many times, unless of course their alignment rack is off. That would mean one of the racks at the Ford assembly line is off the same way?? Highly doubtful. Tire pull is not uncommon due to defective tires. Rotating them will tell you immediately. I’m surprised no one at the service center suggested that to you.
I'm going to have them CONFIRM they reset the steering sensor AND rotate the tires. Could be a defective tire, never thought of that. Thanks all!

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I am in no way defending the dealer, but you say your are holding the steering wheel straight, but you shouldn't really be doing it this way. The alignment is probably fine, you just need to hold the steering wheel lightly and let the ST go straight on its own. My steering wheel is off just a tad, but to me having the dealer mess with it may result it being worse. Not a chance I am willing to take. Even my 2006 Honda Accord that I bought brand new was off slightly and remains that way. Don't get me wrong, I love a steering wheel that is perfectly straight and my older cars almost always had straight steering wheels. Not sure why it is an issue on newer vehicles.

Reactions
Sounds like the sas is broken. I replaced mine in my edge. If you have a scan tool that suports sas (steering angle sensor) you can re calibrate it I believe.

Shumax

Reactions
Vehicle
2023 ST
If it's not the sensor reset, it's a very simple fix. They need to adjust the tie rod on one side a 1/2 of a turn. Do it the opposite way on the other side, but only a 1/4 of a turn. They must be 100% sure the steering wheel is centered when they do this. You have to get in the vehicle, shake the steering wheel side to side and then get it perfectly straight before you do anything else.

Reactions
I just got all new tires with an alignment and the steering wheel is now off center and veers to the left when centered. Taking it back to the dealer for the third time in two weeks now for unrelated issues. This thing is most problematic vehicle I have ever owned.

DaveG ST

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
I just got all new tires with an alignment and the steering wheel is now off center and veers to the left when centered. Taking it back to the dealer for the third time in two weeks now for unrelated issues. This thing is most problematic vehicle I have ever owned.
Please everyone, don't get an alignment unless you need one. I have worked at several shops and alignments are cash cows, money makers. If you need it, get it done, but otherwise pass. My other vehicle has over 240K miles and never had an alignment. Straight as an arrow going down the road.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Please everyone, don't get an alignment unless you need one. I have worked at several shops and alignments are cash cows, money makers. If you need it, get it done, but otherwise pass. My other vehicle has over 240K miles and never had an alignment. Straight as an arrow going down the road.
Yep. Just keep an eye on your tire wear. If they wear too quickly or in odd patterns, that's a sign of an alignment issue. Otherwise you're probably fine.