Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda Sway Bar Limits

Reactions
Vehicle
2021 Explorer ST Carbonized Gray
I'm posting this to request your input and opinions.

I attended the ST Experience in Park City, Utah and was able to autocross their ST's in the rain and experience the factory understeer on the autocross track.
My question is regarding the Steeda Adjustable Sway Bar, and has anyone pushed it hard enough to test the limits and have any feedback on how the understeer/oversteer is affected? I installed the Steeda Sway bar and used the center attachment and am curious how the vehicle responds, for either selection from your experience. This is my daily driver and my wife's grocery getter so I most likely will not have the chance to check the limits of the H&R springs and Steeda Sway Bar around town. I would hate to set this up to slide around for my wife in the rain and set her up for an accident. Although from my experience at the ST Experience in the rain this is an extermely safe vehicle, I still appreciate your input.
Thanks ST Forum!

GTS4EVR

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
Never tried the other settings, but the stiffest setting has always performed great.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
when i first installed mine, i tried the middle setting and didn't notice much of a difference so went to stiffest setting, was able to get it to oversteer pretty nicely after it was tuned, not enough power before, (but only with traction control and advance trac both off) but thought maybe it was too much so went back to the middle setting. then after a month there, went back to the stiffest setting and have left it there since (about a year now). IMO thats where you want it. if you are worried about the missus just tell her to never turn off traction control and she will be fine--even in the stiffest setting she is a big girl [the SUV, not your wife ;-) ] with AWD and wide front tires and therefore wants to understeer even in slick conditions.

Reactions
This is good info. I get my sway bar this week. Stupid question. The instructions do advise, but which hole is for the stiffest setting? I’m assuming that it’s the one closest to the bar band, but not real sure.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
correct. the hole closest to the bar is the stiffest setting. i frankly don't even know why the other two exist, especially since the end of the bar is pretty dang close to the springs if you have H&Rs

Reactions
Thanks. Stock springs. Looking forward to the install this weekend. :)

OP
SimonsGTS
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
when i first installed mine, i tried the middle setting and didn't notice much of a difference so went to stiffest setting, was able to get it to oversteer pretty nicely after it was tuned, not enough power before, (but only with traction control and advance trac both off) but thought maybe it was too much so went back to the middle setting. then after a month there, went back to the stiffest setting and have left it there since (about a year now). IMO thats where you want it. if you are worried about the missus just tell her to never turn off traction control and she will be fine--even in the stiffest setting she is a big girl [the SUV, not your wife ;-) ] with AWD and wide front tires and therefore wants to understeer even in slick conditions.
Judging by my experience on the auto-cross in the rain you have to really try to break this truck loose, I think you're right it's a very safe vehicle. Thanks for your reply!

OP
SimonsGTS
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Thanks. Stock springs. Looking forward to the install this weekend. :)
Good luck! Share your thoughts when you're done and get to drive it!

Reactions
Judging by my experience on the auto-cross in the rain you have to really try to break this truck loose, I think you're right it's a very safe vehicle. Thanks for your reply!
Agreed. I went to the Explorer owners event in Park City. It rained during the auto cross. I pounded on the Explorer and it did not break free. That was awesome.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
What kind of times were they turning in the rain?

Reactions
I’ll have to pull up the video. it was a year ago. I placed 3rd, although my last run, which was not counted, would have placed me first and I would have taken home the trophy. :mad::p

OP
SimonsGTS
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
What kind of times were they turning in the rain?
I came in 3rd place with a 34.6s and my last run was 34.4s I think with wipers going strong, they have a lot of grip in the rain! With all wheel drive you can pull out of the corner pretty hard without sliding, it was a real confidence builder with our new ST!

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
HA! Too funny. I had a 34.3 on my 3rd run but it was on dry pavement but I did have my wipers on. I got a little bit handsy and hit the wiper switch. I didn't win the Prize of Unspeakable Value. We had a ringer of sorts in our group. He was good. He'd been to the class before and he Auto Crossed regularly. He ran 31 something.

OP
SimonsGTS
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
HA! Too funny. I had a 34.3 on my 3rd run but it was on dry pavement but I did have my wipers on. I got a little bit handsy and hit the wiper switch. I didn't win the Prize of Unspeakable Value. We had a ringer of sorts in our group. He was good. He'd been to the class before and he Auto Crossed regularly. He ran 31 something.
Wow! Nice run! The winner of the prize of unspeakable value was a woman, and she was wheelin it with one hand! I was pretty happy with 3rd place since I haven't drove like that in 30 years! On the last run with my best time I lifted early going into the slalom section and started cursing...my wife said go-go-go!!! and I got my best time. It's good to have a good copilot!

Reactions
I just found the video. From what I can tell it was 34.4 as well. That’s the 3rd place time for me.

OP
SimonsGTS
Reactions
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
I just found the video. From what I can tell it was 34.4 as well. That’s the 3rd place time for me.
That's some good driving!

Bordaine

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I decided to ask this question in this thread instead of starting a new one. I am a ”spirited driver”. Does the rear sway bar make a major difference? With the AWD, I have thrown mine around pretty hard with no complaint. Do I go for the rear bar? Or not.

zdubyadubya

Reactions
Vehicle
2020 ST
100% yes. truck feels dramatically more planted even just on long sweeping corners--in the tight twisty stuff its a game changer. with the less body roll its also much easier to feel in the steering wheel where your limit of grip is and you actually start hearing the tires make some noise before you feel your butt or your hands make any movement.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer, ST
I’m following this post with a high degree of intensity.
Down here in the New York City area, a true test of body roll is taking a tight 90° exit at 50+ mph off of the northern state parkway. It can get so bad that you would swear right side wheels are lifting off the floor with some of the vehicles, I’ve previously owned. But I honestly can’t say that it’s bad with the ST.
I drive am an original owner of a 1976 muscle car ‘and many years ago upgraded to beefier both front and rear 7/8 inch sway bars. it keeps both of my rear wheels, planted and absolutely very limited body roll on a curve at higher speeds produced from the 450 hp engine.
When I get under the ST to look at the rear sway bar, I almost choked at what Ford calls a swaybar.

B5332600-F000-44ED-B866-AB344CA4C124.png

Reactions
I’m following this post with a high degree of intensity.
Down here in the New York City area, a true test of body roll is taking a tight 90° exit at 50+ mph off of the northern state parkway. It can get so bad that you would swear right side wheels are lifting off the floor with some of the vehicles, I’ve previously owned. But I honestly can’t say that it’s bad with the ST.
I drive am an original owner of a 1976 muscle car ‘and many years ago upgraded to beefier both front and rear 7/8 inch sway bars. it keeps both of my rear wheels, planted and absolutely very limited body roll on a curve at higher speeds produced from the 450 hp engine.
When I get under the ST to look at the rear sway bar, I almost choked at what Ford calls a swaybar.
The ST’s rear sway bar has a diameter of 21.7mm…which is just about 7/8”.

The next size up is 23mm, used on the police version.

Explorer ST Posts