Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

Steeda Sway Bar Hitting Spring

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Has anyone else had issues with there Steeda sway bar hitting the stock rear springs? I reinstalled mine twice and moved it equal distance between the two springs. It was fine for a few days then shifted when I took a hard corner. Now it’s hitting again. I emailed Steeda but no response yet.

I don’t know how to keep it from shifting sideways. This is not a rocket science install so I am sure I did it correctly. Is there a left and right side for the sway bar? There is also a gap between the right sway bar flange and the rubber bushing which is allowing it to move sideways. Odd to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Mine is close to the H&R springs but I’ve checked it a few times and no contact. They definitely need to adjust those stops. I plan to order some shaft collars like this...Hellwig sends them with some of their bars. With these you can center the bar and lock it into place. ECBAF921-B6FC-4954-BE16-AE89C48FAC96.png

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
As I mentioned in the other thread, the brackets have very large holes and there is some play in their positioning. In your pic, you have that particular mount dead center (from the looks of it). You need to move it inward (to the left in your pic) so that the bushing touches the bar's tab on that side (after the bar is centered). Do the same for the other side. No rubbing on my install--it does come close though. Even dead center, there is probably a centimeter or slightly less on each side so any amount of sliding means potential rubbing.

Last edited:
OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #4
Mine is close to the H&R springs but I’ve checked it a few times and no contact. They definitely need to adjust those stops. I plan to order some shaft collars like this...Hellwig sends them with some of their bars. With these you can center the bar and lock it into place. View attachment 1915
Thank you. I think I’ll go that route. I even used a credit card to slide between the bar and springs to be sure. So close! Being that I won’t use the far end of the sway bar, what are your thoughts on cutting it shorter?

OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #5
As I mentioned in the other thread, the brackets have very large holes and there is some play in their positioning. In your pic, you have that particular mount dead center (from the looks of it). You need to move it inward (to the left in your pic) so that the bushing touches the bar's tab on that side (after the bar is centered). Do the same for the other side. No rubbing on my install--it does come close though. Even dead center, there is probably a centimeter or slightly less on each side so any amount of sliding means potential rubbing.
Thanks for that info. I tried that. Completely centered the bar with the bolts loose. I tried to slide the bushings inward so they touch the flange but could not get both sides to touch. I’ll try again and see what happens. I’ve had this on and off so many times it like changing a tire now. Surprised Steeda hasn’t responded to me though.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
The other thing is maybe H&R and Steeda springs have smaller diameter allowing Unbroken and I to not have issues. Otherwise those collars that Unbroken found are probably just the ticket.

edit: added pics of both sides

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #7
The other thing is maybe H&R and Steeda springs have smaller diameter allowing Unbroken and I to not have issues. Otherwise those collars that Unbroken found are probably just the ticket.

The pic below is what i have on the side that the bar is closest to the spring. View attachment 1916
Interesting. Both sides on mine were super close. I had to have it just right to not rub.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
yikes. that is unusual. i am not sure the collars would help. you don't have much clearance when the bar is centered. question is, why??

OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #9
yikes. that is unusual. i am not sure the collars would help. you don't have much clearance when the bar is centered. question is, why??
Yea I’m at a loss. Was considering cutting off the ends since I’ll never use them. Shouldn’t have to though.

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
Agreed you shouldn’t have to but it is an option for sure.
If Steeda changed the angle of the bar ends just a few degrees it would eliminate this issue.

OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #11
Agreed you shouldn’t have to but it is an option for sure.
Would probably be pretty tough to do with a reciprocal saw but that’s all I have now. Germany has 220v so all my 110v tools are worthless now.

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
maybe a metal shop can cut off the ends. Telling you, the closest hole (stiffest) is all you need if you don't need off-road capability. I think it's ideal at that setting for street. If it were me id put a cutting wheel on an angle grinder and cut right at the middle holes.

Reactions
Steeda's site shows it 'out of stock' so maybe they're making tweaks to the design because of this issue?

Attachments

OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #14
Steeda's site shows it 'out of stock' so maybe they're making tweaks to the design because of this issue?
Yes I noticed that and they won’t respond to my emails either.

OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #15
maybe a metal shop can cut off the ends. Telling you, the closest hole (stiffest) is all you need if you don't need off-road capability. I think it's ideal at that setting for street. If it were me id put a cutting wheel on an angle grinder and cut right at the middle holes.
I have mine in the middle. I’m not towing a boat now but may later. Definitely not off roading. It still bothers me that the bar slides from side to side. To me, that would reduce the performance and may eventually where out the bushings. Who knows. Maybe Steeda will just replace it.

OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #16
I have mine in the middle. I’m not towing a boat now but may later. Definitely not off roading. It still bothers me that the bar slides from side to side. To me, that would reduce the performance and may eventually where out the bushings. Who knows. Maybe Steeda will just replace it.

I spoke with Steeda and they want me to remove it and take measurements between the outside ends and the inner flanges. I’ll also compare it to the stock one.

Reactions
Just saw this thread - having the same issue with HR springs. Ends of the bar is hitting the springs. My guy is cutting the ends off but agree with everyone it should just fit.
anyone have any luck with Steeda getting a response?? B7625403-ED29-40A3-9D0E-DC80E10564ED.jpeg 59FA44E6-4B9E-4ABB-B046-963FB65592EC.jpeg F3E0409D-5261-421B-BA34-23E41CCC8987.jpeg

Reactions
Mine is close to the H&R springs but I’ve checked it a few times and no contact. They definitely need to adjust those stops. I plan to order some shaft collars like this...Hellwig sends them with some of their bars. With these you can center the bar and lock it into place. View attachment 1915
Are these the right spacers you think? I’m just picking my truck up now from installing the sway bar - we talked about getting the spacers and checking in a couple weeks of they're needed so I want to order now just in case...my guy cut the ends off but still better have them and not need them than other way around..

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
That’s not the right PN, no. Just a random pic I grabbed online. You just need to find one with the same ID as the bar OD.

OP
Jshaffer3819

Jshaffer3819

U.S. Army Veteran
Reactions
Thread Starter #20
Just saw this thread - having the same issue with HR springs. Ends of the bar is hitting the springs. My guy is cutting the ends off but agree with everyone it should just fit.
anyone have any luck with Steeda getting a response?? View attachment 1961 View attachment 1962 View attachment 1963
Yes I am working with Steeda now. I have to remove mine and provide them with measurements. Mine is hitting the stock springs.