Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST SUV driving experience

Bordaine

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
The 2023 calendar is up and booking is open. NC May 1st and 2nd for me.

OP
Bordaine

Bordaine

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #3
The 1st and 2nd is a Monday/Tuesday. it’s about a 12 hour drive. I will leave Friday afternoon and work my way down there site seeing all the way. I will return via the Blue Ridge Parkway stopping at a couple of Civil War battlefields. I might even get a visit in for the Battleship NJ.
Fun Fun Fun.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm signed up for May 11-12. We are thinking of doing the Driving school on the 15th in NC as well.

mcate

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I'm signed up for 13-14 April. Probably going to spend some time either before or after in Pigeon Forge. I'd love to take the ST on the Tail of the Dragon. Wife might not be so eager since we'll be down there in March with our Shelby for Ponies in the Smokies. She's cool, but ever since a couple on a big Harley swung wide out of a corner a couple years ago, & we almost hit them head-on, the wife isn't too crazy about the Dragon!

I Bleed Ford Blue

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
23 Rapid Red Explorer ST
Do it, I took mine on the dragon in April of 22 on my way back from Asheville. I stayed in Robbinsville NC the night before and hit the dragon at 8 am the next day, there was only one other vehicle on the dragon that early in the day. I was back in Cleveland 8 hrs later.

20220512_165610.jpg

OP
Bordaine

Bordaine

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Thread Starter #7
Tail of the Dragon sounds interestin. I will look into that.

mcate

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Tail of the Dragon sounds interestin. I will look into that.
I've done it several times in Mustangs. 11 miles, 318 curves. There are lots of twisty drives down there. The Dragon, the Rattler, the Devil's Triangle, Moonshiner 28, & the Cherohala Skyway.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Ford Explorer ST
Booked May 24/25 the day Park City schedule opened! Met 2 Billings ST owners who never bothered—— unbelievable! Inconceivable! Think we might be excited about going?

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
Booked for Asheville May 15-16. We've been to Asheville many times and really enjoy it, so the location is a big plus. Really looking forward to it!

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
10.5 hrs to the event, not bad. Would love to make it to one of these and hit the dragon! So much fun when I was able to drive in a car...not sure how I'd feel in this lol.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We are excited to go, but the current dates do not work for us. So we have to wait until more dates open up past July. I emailed them and they said it runs until October, so hopefully, we can get something for NC for September.

Reactions
Vehicle
'21 Explorer ST
We are excited to go, but the current dates do not work for us. So we have to wait until more dates open up past July. I emailed them and they said it runs until October, so hopefully, we can get something for NC for September.
Good to know. The date was iffy for me as well.

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We just registered for the first opening in June, we were going to wait until September, but with our daughter's schedule, might be too risky to wait.

We're waiting to get more details about the hotel and confirmation, but, we're planning to fly out there the day of the dinner (hopefully get an early flight) and stay an extra night, to fly out the morning/afternoon after. We wanted to stay longer, but with so many trips we have planned this year, it wasn't financially possible for us.

Any recommendations on places to go for dinner after the driving experience?

mcate

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
We just registered for the first opening in June, we were going to wait until September, but with our daughter's schedule, might be too risky to wait.

We're waiting to get more details about the hotel and confirmation, but, we're planning to fly out there the day of the dinner (hopefully get an early flight) and stay an extra night, to fly out the morning/afternoon after. We wanted to stay longer, but with so many trips we have planned this year, it wasn't financially possible for us.

Any recommendations on places to go for dinner after the driving experience?
We don't know much about the Asheville area. Our plan is to do a few days before the Experience in Pigeon Forge, & a couple days afterwards there. I want to do the Tail of the Dragon in the Explorer while we're down there.

TMac

1000 Post Club
Reactions
You can do a bit of research if you have time. Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg have tons of things to see and do. Dragon is a bit out of the way from there and Asheville. I'd recommend Gatlinburg going up through the Smokey Mountain National Park to Cherokee, where you can then hit the interstate to (or from) Asheville. If you're doing the tour at Vanderbilt, sign up for the "architect's tour". You'll see places inside that aren't open to the public that are fabulous as well as tours of gargoyles and attics that show the construction detail. Highly recommended!

Reactions
Vehicle
2022 Explorer ST
I just booked May 22-23 in Park City.