Welcome to the #1 Explorer ST Forum and Explorer ST community dedicated to Explorer ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Explorer ST Forum today!

ST Street wheels?

rll2

Reactions
I noticed that my ST Street package Black rims are only powder coated on the outside Face of the wheel
Seeing you can look between the spokes and see the unfinished inside rim
I thought that this was a mistake
That Ford missed power coating the rest of the rim
Dealer says this is normal

Is it?

Cdubya

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
2020 Explorer ST
normal. A lot of wheels are like that. To be honest, I don't think it's a big deal--until you mentioned it, I hadn't really noticed.

GearHead_1

1000 Post Club
Reactions
Vehicle
Exploder
Not sure what to say. Mine are as shiny gloss black in the barrels as they are on the wheel face. Don't get me wrong the machining isn't as fine and smooth but the finish is the same. In fact all of my recent aluminum Ford wheels have been fully finished (2 F150’s, 2 Edge’s, 2 Escape’s, 2 Lincoln’s and now this Exploder), some were clear coated. Even the ones that say made on China on the inside of the rim.

I clean the barrels every time I wash it, you’ve got to when the wheels are black or it just looks sad.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

4000 Post Club
Reactions
I’m pretty sure mine were coated inside and out. I don’t really remember but I definitely would have noticed if they weren’t.

Autoworker

1000 Post Club
Reactions
My machine faced 20's barrels were about half powder coated from the factory . I think they figure no one cleans them.